What do you get when you cross the best of Silicon Valley innovation with the agriculture economy? Farmers Business Network!
We are proudly Farmers First. Created by farmers, for farmers, Farmers Business Network (FBN) is an independent & unbiased farmer-to-farmer network of thousands of American farms. By enabling thousands of farmers to work together, anonymously & securely to democratize information, the FBN network is helping farmers level the playing field & put power back in farmers hands.
Farmers Business Network counts top VCs including Google Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, DBL Partners, & Acre Venture Partners, T Rowe Price & Temasek among its investors. We are a dynamic, & innovative company in AgTech that offers competitive compensation & benefits.
This role will lead the effort to develop a portfolio of industry leading yellow pea genetics that will be specifically tailored to the fast-growing plant-based protein market. The yellow pea breeder is expected to identify and/or develop the genetics & traits not otherwise easily available to farmers. This role will develop a proprietary breeding program based on traditional breeding techniques & also cutting-edge genomics to accelerate agronomic & protein quality improvement. Success is reflected by establishing the portfolio to support FBN as the industry leading supplier of yellow peas to the processors of plant-based proteins.
- Coordinate & develop a yellow pea genetic research & development program, including identifying & sourcing new sources of genetics, crossing & breeding new lines, facilitating collaboration & managing the variety & hybrid development programs from origination to commercialization
- Manage 3rd party support for genomicsand quantitative genetics to accelerate yellow pea development
- Establish intellectual property strategy specific to yellow pea germplasm
- Establish & manage budgets, specific to yellow pea varietal development; from an initial cross to commercial launch.
- Experience with managing dicot seeds development & research is required, including breeding & testing process & requirements
- Strong understanding of genotyping & marker assisted selection methods.
- Working knowledge of genotyping/quantitative genetics
- Ability to facilitate collaboration between public yellow pea breeding organizations & third-party service providers
- Understanding of testing environments & impact on product evaluation & line selection
- General understanding of field, road & lab equipment utilization
- MS or PhD in discipline specific to seeds breeding or development & minimum ten years in field research or field research management preferred
- Demonstrated ability in field research process management
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage & motivate staff & teams
- Able & willing to travel up to 60%
- Demonstrated ability to be further developed with FBN, to include relocation
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in a role of breeder, research or development manager