BuzzFeed is the worlds leading independent digital media & tech company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally & spreads Joy & Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform & entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, & Unsolved to name a few! These properties & their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters & more.
The BuzzFeed Data Group is looking for a full stack software engineer to join its Data Accessibility team. This team builds various internal tools, dashboards, & systems to provide access to nearly 1 PB of data & empower stakeholders across the business, content, & tech organizations to make informed decisions & build data driven products. This role presents an opportunity for high impact as youll help to shape the frontend engineering vision for these tools while also contributing to the backend systems which power them.
Youll report to a Senior Engineering Manager in New York, surrounded by passionate people who are generous with their time & want to help you grow at BuzzFeed. Youll work with engineering, product, design, & data colleagues globally across time zones. We are currently working remotely, & we expect to eventually re-open our offices when it is safe to return, in 2021. After re-opening, candidates will be expected to come into the New York or Minneapolis office.
- Youll own the frontend vision & implementation of our internal dashboard & reporting interfaces, with attention to performance, maintainability, & user experience
- Youll contribute to the maintenance & improvement of our backend data accessibility systems
- Youll work with other software engineers, designers, product managers, & data analysts to understand & shape work before it becomes code & after it ships to production
- Youll reach across the entire tech stack at BuzzFeed & get a deep understanding of large-scale media companies architecture & operations
- Significant coding experience on the frontend & have delivered complex initiatives to production
- The ability to build inclusive, accessible systems & are comfortable making informed product decisions in their pursuit
- You are a passionate & empathetic engineer who enjoys contributing to & leading technical projects & working with engineers at all levels
- You value testing, instrument & document your work
- You adapt quickly to change & love to ship & iterate, building on new user research, insights & data
About the Products
- Our data infrastructure is built on GCP with BigQuery serving as our data warehouse. This data is surfaced to stakeholders through our internal tools as well as business intelligence tools like Looker, Mode, & DataStudio.
- Our frontend consists of several JS frameworks, such as React, Preact, & T3
- Our backend services are written in Python, Go, or Node depending on the scope & context of the service
- Monitoring & instrumentation is essential for our advertising stack. We use a combination of Datadog, Sentry, & proprietary services
- We believe in ownership over the entire engineering cycle - the same engineers architect, build, test, deploy, monitor, & run their services using containers on AWS/GCP
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options
- A generous & well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy & indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.