We are on the hunt for an experienced, rockstar editor to join Thrillist, within Group Nine Media! As a member of the Travel team, youll report to the Editorial Director of Travel to help shape & implement content strategy, manage our day-to-day workflow, & above all, serve our audience fun, inspiring, serviceable travel stories.
The perfect candidate will have a ton of travel experience under their belt, with Jeopardy-levels of knowledge about the U.S. & an unquenchable curiosity about people, places, & cultures. Your passion & perspective will help set the tone for our travel section.
This position will be based in New York City or California. The Travel Editor will lead by example in demonstrating Group Nines values - Care Deeply, Be Brave, Go First, Do Good, Stay Close & Win Together.
WHAT YOULL DO:
- Youll work with a stable of staff writers & freelancers to come up with fresh ideas, write killer headlines, tap expert local sources, curate globe-spanning lists, & nail the Thrillist voice. A kickass writer & storyteller yourself, youll apply your sharp curatorial eye & fact-checking skills (aka bullshit detector) to everything we publish.
- Brainstorm, assign, & edit stories in a wide variety of styles & formats.
- Establish & maintain relationships with a worldwide network of freelancers with varying levels of expertise.
- Source quality photos for articles & collaborate with the art department to ensure every story is visually supported.
- Participate in team brainstorms & ideate content ranging from short news items to multi-faceted, cross-vertical packages.
- Help maintain the editorial calendar & an efficient daily workflow.
- Cross-collaborate with other departments including Video, Creative, Social, & Audience Development.
SUCCESS WILL LOOK LIKE:
- This role requires masterful multi-tasking. Youll be expected to work quickly & strategically to meet ambitious output goals & keep projects on track.
- Stay on top of travel industry trends, consumer behavior, & current events to keep our content timely & relevant.
- Use data insights & analytics to better understand our audience & inform content strategy.
- Grow our network of freelancers & guest experts to bring a locals perspective to everything we publish.
- Play a pivotal role in growing the Thrillist Travel brand across all our platforms.
- At least 4 years of experience in digital journalism, with experience editing in the travel space; Bachelors degree preferred
- Exceptional writing, copyediting, & fact-checking skills
- Superior communication skills; adept at giving constructive feedback
- A knack for strategic thinking, creative brainstorming, & problem-solving
- Strong understanding of SEO best practices
- A sharp eye for photography & talent acquisition
- A genuine love for travel, food, adventure, & connecting with people all over the world
NICE TO HAVES:
- Passion or expertise in food/drink, entertainment, outdoor adventure, sustainability, diversity & inclusion, and/or other areas that tie into travel experiences
- Experience managing a team
Why Work at Group Nine
We are committed to diversity, equity & inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I & executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise youll work alongside some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other & we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental & vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Weve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support & meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer & religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted. We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better once youre here.
Thrillist is the #1 food, drink & travel brand for Gen Z & Millennials [source: Comscore Media Matrix & Plan Metrix, Q3 2020.] Thrillist serves as a guidebook for those that want new experiences & long to turn a good time into a great time. Our nonstop coverage of local culture inspires audiences to discover their world & celebrate every moment. In a serious world, we take fun seriously. In December 2016, Thrillist joined forces with NowThis, The Dodo, POPSUGAR & Seeker to form Group Nine Media -- a global top 10 publisher.
About Group Nine Media
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nines brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news & politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Womens Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; & Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critics Choice, among others.