This role will be instrumental in growing, mentoring, & guiding a team of cross functional software engineers to develop a healthy & collaborative culture. This role will set direction for the team, anticipate strategic & scaling-related challenges via thoughtful long-term planning & will help craft technical & product strategy. This role will also participate in hands on development.
Primary Responsibilities & Duties
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead a team of 5-7 engineers with a focus on technical leadership while coaching, mentoring & growing team members
- Build & deploy a set of globally distributed products
- Maintain a high-quality code base, through coding & performing code reviews
- Define application infrastructure technical roadmap & drive for its execution.
- Establish engineering data points to measure the effectiveness of the teams output
- Implement best practices in architectural design & mentor team in these practices
- Participate in system design & influence technical strategy conversations across the engineering team
- Conduct performance reviews & 1-1s with all team members setting objectives for the team as a whole & partnering with teammates on individual goals
- Help career development of team & assign team members to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, & professional goals.
- Work with engineering team leads & other stakeholders to continuously improve operational processes & procedures
- Use project management & Agile skills to estimate project scope & break larger projects & stories into smaller pieces
- Instill a culture of engineering quality, testing, re-use & engineering efficiency through the use of software design patterns & relevant tools
- Create plans for prioritizing technical & resourcing challenges in your organization.
- Identify cross-functional dependencies & remove blockers when needed across engineering, design, & product management
- Create a team dynamic that is inclusive, open-minded, respectful, & effective
- Maintain a balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects & shipping things quickly.
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the teams code, architecture, & processes.
- Maintain a prioritized backlog & create short term & long-term goals.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Experienced in managing a technical team
- Experience with at least one annual performance review cycle
- Kind & intellectually mature
- Willing & able to dive into the code yourself
- Excited to partner with design & product management on both large new features & daily, small product enhancements
- Equipped with the intelligence, empathy, integrity, & technical chops required to quickly earn the trust of a technically astute team
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be doneand then doing it
- Have a technical background & are able to contribute to planning & design discussions.
- Enjoy working in a collaborative environment, & youre committed to driving projects to completion creatively.
- Ability to motivate & instill a strong sense of ownership in your team. You have experience guiding teams through planning, prioritization, & execution of work.
- Experience in building & retaining an engineering team & culture
- A deep understanding of modern web applications & API design; experience with issues related to scale, security, availability, deployment, & server maintenance
- Experience with development best practices, including continuous integration, automated testing, source control, & code reviews
- An understanding of AWS or other cloud infrastructures
- Have experience with distributed systems, CI/CD tools, & containerizing applications