Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why & Where
Twilio is growing rapidly & seeking an Engineering Manager to be a leader in our Customer Lifecycle Engineering Group, where you will work with teams that develop features that impact all points in the customer lifecycle. These teams use the latest distributed systems programming techniques & technologies, including micro-services, Kubernetes, AWS cloud infrastructure & APIs.
We are looking for a capable & empathetic engineering leader who is excited at the prospect of mentoring & growing software engineers, building strong team collaboration, & supporting & aligning the team to the business needs.
As an Engineering Manager you will lead by guiding our front-end development team in tackling tough problems as we continue to push our technology forward. To take it to scale, you will oversee the front-end team of a complex distributed platform & will be concerned with availability, throughput, & latency by leveraging data to assess business performance & deliver actionable insights to improve efficiency & increase productivity. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, embody a growth mindset, collaborate effectively, be able to mentor junior engineers & operate highly resilient services.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic & has the follow experience:
- 7+ years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of experience & education
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in an engineering management role
- Demonstrated experience leading inclusive teams, mentoring junior engineers, & teaching proven practices that help teams grow.
- Communication skills that leverage empathy & compassion to build trust, resolve conflicts, & provide feedback to your team.
- Strong product & architectural vision & a demonstrated ability to collaborate, communicate, advocate, & execute on that vision.
- Ability to oversee the design & operation of complex components & large-scale systems
- Success at participating in cross-functional teams; naturally collaborative but decisive when needed
- Track record in building & sustaining high-performance teams
- Strong influential & persuasion skills to manage Right vs Right Now engineering decisions
- Excellent written & oral communication skills enabling you to articulate complex, technical material to a non-technical audience
- Ability to lead through change effectively
As a Manager, Software Engineering, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER: Lead & grow a team of passionate engineers. Provide support & guidance that enables the team to self-organize & to achieve sustained high velocity & predictability.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Manage employee career development by providing coaching & mentoring to junior engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives & provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- DONT SETTLE: Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well-architected & supportable code.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects & other business stakeholders to ensure the team has clear direction & priorities.
- WRITE IT DOWN & RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Work in conjunction with our Agile Program Management team in breaking down roadblocks as well as managing communications with stakeholders & dependent teams. Create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- BE BOLD: As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles & behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting & motivating top talent.
The Customer Lifecycle team is central to Twilio's continued growth. We work closely with stakeholders & product teams to design & implement the infrastructure for all customer activities on our system. This includes everything from sign-up/sign-in to billing & account management.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the worlds developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, & your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed & we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, & innovation & we want you & your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will have a remote start but will be located in our beautiful office at 1801 California St. in Denver, CO. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, access to our building fitness center, monthly All Hands & more.
You will also be part of a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work & home life; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously & purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do & be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, & can draw the owl & not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video & email by virtualizing the worlds communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the worlds most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developers toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry from emerging leaders to the worlds largest organizations to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status & operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.