Counsel / Senior Counsel (Corporate, Compliance & Operations)
WHO WE ARE
The Legal & Business Affairs team of Vox Media has an opening for a Counsel or Senior Counsel position who will be responsible for a wide array of corporate matters. Were looking for a business-minded attorney with experience in the technology or media industry who can act as a utility player for a high-performing legal team. This position will provide corporate & business law guidance, including managing corporate governance best practices, helping to manage the Companys equity program, & supporting M&A activity as needed. The position will also manage vendor, confidentiality, & professional services agreements to support the various core services teams at Vox Media.
This position reports to the SVP, Deputy General Counsel while working closely with other members of the Legal & Business Affairs department, as well as internal business teams & leadership across the company. This position is perfect for an attorney who can work within a team & who has had substantive exposure to a broad range of corporate & transactional matters. While this is listed as a Washington, DC position, we are considering candidates from either DC or New York.
The Legal & Business Affairs team is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about whats now, whats next, & whats possible.
As a community of journalists & storytellers, business professionals, creators & technologists, we believe it is a moral & business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, & inclusion throughout our organization & media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, & our platforms, products, & partnerships.
WHAT YOULL DO
- Provide counsel on general corporate governance & corporate structuring matters, including formation & contribution of legal entities, managing subsidiary books & implementing best corporate governance practices.
- Provide support to M&A & financing transactions, including managing the internal due diligence process, negotiating ancillary agreements & documents, & assisting in all areas of deal planning, execution & integration.
- Manage & administer the companys equity incentive plan & develop employee education materials.
- Assist in managing the companys risk management practices, including reviewing & renewing the companys corporate insurance policies & implementing company-wide risk management training.
- Support the Finance organization in the preparation of tax filings, year-end audits, & external reporting, as well as engaging outside accountants & advisors.
- Assist with review & negotiation of office leases.
- Review, draft & negotiate commercial agreements with vendors or other partners, including professional services agreements, nondisclosure agreements, master services agreements & statements of work, & similar agreements.
- Perform contract research & interpretation, providing support on day-to-day issues raised under vendor contracts, including transactional & non-transactional vendor related matters across the companys core services & business units such as people & culture, finance, real estate, studios production, workplace services, & editorial.
WHO YOU ARE
- JD & admitted to practice.
- At least two years of law firm experience preferred; relevant in-house experience also a plus.
- Corporate, M&A, or similar transactional experience that provides exposure across a wide range of corporate issues & familiarity with various different types of agreements & practice areas.
- Ability to translate complex legal issues to business partners & provide a balanced & practical approach to legal drafting & problem solving.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects & prioritize & meet deadlines within a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to deal effectively with individuals at all organizational levels.
- Professional, personable, approachable & courteous demeanor.
- Creative, flexible, enthusiastic, innovative, & a can-do, no job is too small, team player attitude.
- Excellent communication & organizational skills, including clear & effective written & verbal communication skills, negotiating skills, & strong legal drafting abilities.
- Strong desire to learn the business & to function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team.
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch!
WHERE YOULL WORK
This job is based in either DC or NYC, or regional to either DC or NYC in order to allow periodic travel to Vox Media offices. Were dedicated to the health & wellbeing of all of our employees, & when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves & create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products & services come from people with all manner of backgrounds & experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work & sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights & best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency & communication. Learn more about our values here, & our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
WHAT COMES NEXT
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, & how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.