Who We Are
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in todays most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, & The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, & more, both online & at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- & part-time alumni & counting. In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent & spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloittes Technology Fast 500, & Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
The goal of the Outcomes Manager is to lead by example, diagnose challenges & opportunities, manage data & set the overall vision & goals of the local Outcomes Team. This role encompasses daily operational & support management of job-seeker programs, as well as the engagement (and possible development) of industry connections. Working with the local team & with GA's global Coaching, Partnerships, & Alumni teams, the Manager creates a firm relationship among GA, students, alumni, & the industry.
In this hands-on position, the Outcomes Manager will directly manage a team composed of a career coach & a partnerships specialist while also directly coaching & mentoring approximately 70 students at different stages of their job search process. This role requires a high degree of organization, accountability, cross-team communication, empathy, & flexibility. This role reports into the Sr. Regional Director & has a dotted line to the Global Director of Outcomes. This is a full-time role based in Washington, DC.
The DC Outcomes Team works towards ensuring graduates are prepared & confident in their job search & actively supports graduates & monitors their progress until all actively seeking students have achieved an outcome. A balance of ensuring that graduates are empowered to find jobs in a timely manner, as well as find roles that they are passionate about, is critical for this role. With the right individuals in this role around the world, General Assembly is proud of the fact that 91.9% of full-time graduates participating in the Outcomes program achieve an outcome within 180 days of graduating.
- Manages & develops Career Coach & Partnerships Specialist towards success & reaching their goals & accountability metrics.
- Responsible for Coaching & Partnership Quality: training, coaching, hiring, & talent strategy.
- Leadership of outcomes function including strategy around outcomes programming, integration with instructional training, & hitting world-class career outcomes rates of 99% in 180 days from course completion.
- Partner with global stakeholders to align innovative local strategy with systems & vision for global outcomes & instruction.
- Always focused on student & graduate experience.
- Work with other department managers, Regional Director, & global counterparts on cross-department initiatives & enterprise deals
- Management of the team budget
- Ownership of market-wide outcomes data & outcomes forecasting.
- Teaches outcomes curriculum sessions & coaches student job seekers at different stages of their job search.
- At least three years experience in career coaching (in industry or academic settings) & at least two years managing a team. Account management, recruiting or sales experience is a plus.
- Responsible for building & expanding relationships with employers. Familiarity with the hiring environment in the greater DC, Virginia, & Maryland market focused on software engineering, data science, & UX Design.
- Able to give constructive, positive feedback to people of diverse professional & life backgrounds.
- Self-Driven/Resourceful; able to pull educational resources from the community & tailor lesson plans/meetings based on student needs.
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills. Demonstrated experience working across teams/departments. Comfortable presenting both one-on-one & delivering to a large group (in-person & online).
- Highly organized & data-driven. Able to manage large volumes of requests & organize systems to keep track of students in various stages. Manage team data collection, analysis, & reporting.
- High emotional intelligence; able to empathize with others & handle other peoples stress.
- Experience & ability building trust & accountability with local & remote stakeholders.
- Passionate about education, technology, & career coaching.
- Motivating Others: Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; can motivate many kinds of direct reports & team or project members; can assess each persons hot button & use it to get the best out of him/her; pushes tasks & decisions down; empowers others; invites input from each person & shares ownership & visibility; makes each individual feel his/her/their work is important.
- Managing Vision & Purpose: Communicates a compelling & inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today; talks about possibilities; is optimistic; creates mileposts & symbols to rally support behind the vision; makes the vision shareable by everyone; can inspire & motivate entire units or organizations.
- Drive for Results & Use of Data: Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly & consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self & others for results. Ability to analyze & synthesize data to inform strategic decisions & communicate key learnings/progress towards goals to the larger team.
- Directing Others: Is good at establishing clear directions; sets stretching objectives; distributes the workload appropriately; lays out work in a well-planned & organized manner; maintains a two-way dialogue with others on work & results; brings out the best in people; is a clear communicator. Can build trusting & productive relationships with various stakeholders.
- Innovation Management: Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market; has good judgment about which creative ideas & suggestions will work; has a sense about managing the creative process of others; can facilitate effective brainstorming; can project how potential ideas may play out in the marketplace.
- Managing & Measuring Work: Clearly assigns responsibility for tasks & decisions; sets clear objectives & measures; monitors process, progress, & results; designs feedback loops into work.
- Organizing: Can marshal resources (people, funding, material, support) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively & efficiently arranges information & files in a useful manner.
- Listening: Practices attentive & active listening; has the patience to hear people out; can accurately restate the opinions of others even when he/she disagrees.
- Presentation Skills: Is effective in a variety of formal presentation settings: one-on-one, small & large groups, with peers, direct reports, & bosses; is effective both inside & outside the organization, on both cool data & hot & controversial topics; commands attention & can manage group processes during the presentation; can change tactics midstream when something isnt working.
- Managing Diversity: Manages all kinds people equitably; deals effectively with all races, nationalities, cultures, disabilities, ages & genders; hires variety & diversity without regard to background; supports equal & fair treatment & opportunity for all. Continuously develops understanding of diversity, equity, & inclusion, & takes action based on this understanding.
- Patience: Is tolerant with people & processes; listens & checks before acting; tries to understand the people & the data before making judgments & acting; waits for others to catch up before acting; sensitive to due process & proper pacing; follows established process.
- Managing Relationship Building: Ability to develop, maintain, & strengthen partnerships with key stakeholders inside or outside the organization.