Bread is a technology company that aims to transform the world of paper credit card applications & hidden interest rates by providing leading point-of-sale financing options for merchants across the e-commerce journey. We build tools, technologies, & APIs that allow merchants to integrate an installment loan financing & checkout experience anywhere in their customers shopping journey. Bread was started in 2015 by financial technology veterans & has experienced explosive growth to date.
This individual will join Breads Core Engineering group. We are a relatively new group, & our main goal is to service all the verticals in our product engineering organization by providing a cross-platform, easy-to-use, abstract software solution(s) that emphasize on scalability & extensibility. Core Engineering is uniquely set up to work with all teams within Bread, & our end-clients are essentially our colleagues & peer engineers. Our group will work primarily on the backend using Go. Some product examples that we are developing include Workflows, Authentication, & BRE (Business Rules Engine). We are an easy going & dedicated group & our responsibilities are evolving. We are looking for talented & excited engineers to join us!
Your role at Bread:
- Lead the development of major components, coordinating with other developers & cross-functional team members
- Design new iterations of our services & APIs
- Be tool oriented - youll write tools & introduce approaches that we didn't know we needed but that after a month we won't know how we lived without them
- Build distributed systems that scale as we rapidly grow
- Provide accurate development time estimates & communicate effectively with engineering management
- Partner with other leaders in the engineering organization to set team-wide standards & cultivate an innovative engineering culture
What we are looking for:
- Expertise building scalable, reliable distributed systems
- Expert knowledge of server-side languages & data stores (our system is built with Go & PostgreSQL, but were also happy to speak with those that have strong backend experience with other languages, including JVM languages like Java or Scala; Python; Rust, or C++)
- Experience with relational & non-relational databases
- Experience with public web APIs
- A passion for engineering & technology
Nice to have:
- Experience with message-based, loosely coupled architectures (we use gRPC, RabbitMQ & Redis)
- Experience developing systems intended for cloud deployments (AWS, EKS, lambdas, etc)
- Experience with Go/PostgreSQL/Rabbit/Redis
- Basic DevOps experience is helpful
Engineers at Bread also get the opportunity to participate in 20% time through Working Groups! Working Groups are quarterly teams of 4 to 6 engineers who set out to tackle a specific engineering initiative outside of their core engineering team. Working Groups have included ones for Logging Architecture, Internal Authentication, Community & Blogs, Testing Infrastructure, & Monitoring. Groups meet every Friday to plan & own their roadmap & implement their features. All engineers get a chance to be in one of these groups & over time potentially lead a group for that quarter. It's another opportunity as an engineer at Bread to have impact across the entire organization!