Foursquare is the leading independent location technology & data cloud platform dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces & physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, & achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquares location tech stack is being utilized by the worlds largest enterprises & most recognizable brands.
About the Position
The Places Team is responsible for building & curating Foursquare's Places Database. We combine billions of individual pieces of information into a comprehensive dataset of hundreds of millions of places around the world. The database spans every type of point-of-interest across the world with over a thousand different types of places such as restaurants, stores, parks, hotels, & colleges. In addition to powering our branded products, Places powers customer applications ranging from maps, navigation, analytics & everything in between for tens of thousands developers, including Apple, Microsoft, Uber & many more. Users, including software engineers, data scientists, analysts, & product managers, mix real time precision edits with a git-like branch & merge model for large scale changes.
Foursquare is seeking an Engineering Manager to lead our Places Inputs & Ingestion team, responsible for the software & infrastructure that powers our consumption & processing of all of the data that makes it into our Places product.
In this role, youll
- Be responsible for the teams execution & ability to ship high quality software in a fast paced environment. Youll be responsible for setting the team technical direction & roadmaps, making sure the right process is in place to help the team deliver. You will help to cultivate the growth of the engineers on the team & their career paths at Foursquare.
- Manage & coach a team(s) of talented backend & data engineers
- Responsible for the team's technical roadmap & direction, working closely with Product Management, & other Places teams to achieve company goals
- Manage the development of scalable & reliable systems for processing large amounts of data
- Identify & track critical diagnostic metrics for the health & growth of our core data metrics
- Evaluate & introduce new technologies, processes & policies when necessary.
- Partner with other engineering & product teams & department stakeholders to align on & drive forward broader engineering & company initiatives
- Grow & build a diverse & effective team by recruiting for the team, establishing hiring & retention goals, interviewing norms, & evolving the onboarding process for new team members
What youll need
- 4+ years of proven industry experience developing & operating frontend or backend software
- 1+ years experience managing an engineering team or being a team lead
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to convey intricate systems & logic to both technical & non-technical audiences
- Proficient in capacity planning & sprint planning, working with Product Management & Engineering Leadership to help execute on a roadmap
- Track record of reliably shipping & scaling high-quality products as an individual contributor and/or manager
- Excellent problem solving & large-scale systems debugging skills, & analytical skills to find answers
Nice to have
- Experience building large scale backend software or data pipelines
- Consider yourself a player-coach, with the ability to jump into an IDE & help get a feature shipped, in addition to helping the team to do their best work
Benefits & Perks
- Fully Flexible Workplace - work from home, one of our offices or a combination of the two!
- Unlimited PTO - rest & recharge when you need it!
- Industry Leading Healthcare - comprehensive & competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- Savings & Investments - 401(k) with company match
- Home Office Setup - you get all necessary hardware & internet reimbursement
- Family Planning & Fertility Programs - programs via Carrot & Maven
- Employee Resource Groups - to help you stay connected
Things to know
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.