Technical Writer - Engineering (New York, NY)
At Squarespace, we enable millions to build a brand & transact with their customers online. That means delivering impactful, reliable software products to our customers. Technical writers contribute to that mission by maximizing engineer efficiency through internal technical documentation.
We're looking for an experienced technical writer to grow & drive several internal technical documentation projects within the Data Engineering department. As a member of our growing Technical Writing team, you'll work closely with engineers & stakeholders to break down complex information into clear, concise, & accurate documentation. You'll also mentor & coach engineers on their writing & documentation workflows.
This role sits in Engineering & reports to the Technical Writing Manager in NYC.
All Squarespace employees are working remotely at this time. We are closely monitoring the status of COVID-19 as we continue our work to build a return-to-work plan that ensures a safe return to our offices & provides flexibility for our employees.
In this role you'll
- Explain complex information in clear, accurate internal technical documentation for engineers
- Advise & coach engineers & teams on documentation workflows & technical writing best practices
- Collaborate with stakeholders to plan & identify documentation deliverables that meet audiences' needs
- Communicate with stakeholders about documentation priorities & progress
- Recommend improvements to documentation practices & standards in Engineering
- Partner with engineers & perform individual research to learn new technologies & inform your work
What we're looking for
- Experience writing technical documentation for engineering audiences & for projects of increasing complexity & scale
- Audience-centric, effective, & impeccable writing skills
- Ability to pick up technical concepts quickly & a firm understanding of technologies at previous companies
- Experience documenting data systems; experience with the following is a plus:
- Big data tooling, such as Hadoop
- Google Cloud Platform
- Orchestration tooling, such as Kubernetes & Airflow
- Streaming queue systems, such as Kafka
- Familiarity with docs-as-code tools & practices, such as Git, GitHub, Bitbucket, static site generators, & Markdown
- Ability to efficiently & effectively navigate ambiguity & competing priorities to identify audiences' needs
- Outcome-focused thinking with the ability to foster ideas, navigate complexity, & work autonomously in a fast-paced environment
- Strong commitment to fostering a culture of inclusion, collaboration, & trust
In your first three months, you'll
- Get to know the teams you work with & their technologies through 1:1s, attending meetings, & shadowing your stakeholders
- Begin owning one cross-team documentation project, contributing content & identifying future deliverables
- Understand the audiences for your documentation including those that fall outside your immediate teams
- Build a confident & comfortable relationship with the engineers & leadership members on the teams you work with
- Begin drafting your career development plan with your manager
- Begin contributing to Squarespace culture in ways meaningful to you, e.g. Employee Resource Groups, planning or attending (currently virtual) team events, joining game night, etc.
Working as a Technical Writer at Squarespace
Technical writers at Squarespace increase engineer efficiency by communicating expertly through the written word, working collaboratively, being radically candid, & leaving egos at the door. We treat processes & tools not as ends, but as means to reach business goals & empower our customers. We lift each other up & provide equal opportunities for growth.
Technical writers at Squarespace also have the option to contribute to Squarespace culture in ways meaningful to them, for example, joining or leading Employee Resource Groups, planning or attending (currently virtual) team events, & joining game nights.
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design & sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people from individuals & local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the worlds most iconic businesses to share their stories with the world. Squarespaces team of more than 1,200 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin & Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you & your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility & adoption benefits
- Free lunch & snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) & pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives & experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace & celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
*Thank you to our friends at Awaken for inspiring the structure of this job description.