SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. GNC SATELLITE ATTITUDE DETERMINATION & CONTROL ENGINEER (STARLINK)
- Design & analysis of satellite attitude determination & control systems.
- ADCS hardware performance specification including reaction wheel & torque rod sizing, sensor noise & performance characteristics, redundancy & fault management.
- Develop high fidelity 6 degree of freedom single & multi-vehicle simulation using C++.
- Implement closed loop pointing, orbit raising, & station keeping algorithms.
- Analyze platform stability to ensure low jitter of line-of-sight instruments.
- Various first principles derived analyses.
- Mentor junior engineers on the team.
- Bachelor's degree in physics or an engineering discipline.
- 5+ years of software development experience in C++ or Python.
- Experience with satellite attitude determination and/or orbital mechanics.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree or PhD in physics or an engineering discipline.
- Demonstrated project or professional experience in either satellite attitude determination & control or orbit raising & station keeping.
- Experience with flexible body control, orbital maneuvering, filtering, fault management, software development, & navigation filtering.
- Strong understanding of classical dynamics, orbital mechanics, modeling & simulation, & software development.
- Cradle to grave development of three axis stabilized spacecraft incorporating momentum, magnetic, & propulsive control.
- Low thrust trajectory optimization for orbital maneuvering.
- Capable of identifying & solving complex problems with little to no supervision or direction.
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, & demanding start-up atmosphere.
- Excellent communication skills both written & verbal.
- Must be willing to travel.
- Must be willing to work extended hours & weekends as needed to complete major milestones.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence & qualifications & will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXs Affirmative Action Plan for veterans & individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.