At Expa were dedicated to being the best place for entrepreneurs to create & build companies. Expa was founded in 2013 by Uber co-founder Garrett Camp to help bring great ideas to life. Were builders, founders, & operators ourselves, know the struggles that come with starting a new company, & what it takes to succeed. We support entrepreneurs with more than just funding we offer a valuable network, office space, & our advice & expertise.
Crucial to our success, were hiring a Principal based on the East Coast, preferably in New York City, who will be responsible for helping us identify the next generation of great entrepreneurs, support our existing portfolio companies, & grow our Expa network. Were searching for someone who has a strong grasp of startup investing, can take responsibility for all aspects of the deal process, & can serve as a financial & fundraising point person for our existing portfolio companies. A relationship builder, our Principal will help expand Expas network & closely follow local developments in the tech & VC world.
Expa is a tight-knit, cross-functional team that avoids politics, moves quickly & supports one another. We are growing our team of like-minded individuals who share an ethos of empathy, service, & curiosity.
- Help Expa find great entrepreneurs
- Understand investment trends & develop a pipeline of companies for investment & partnerships
- Identify companies & technologies of interest to Expa for early stage investments.
- Lead & coordinate all aspects of the investment process including deal sourcing, financial modeling, market research, due diligence, negotiation & presentations for new & follow-on investments.
- Keep up to date & have an interest in the developments & trends in tech & the VC world
- Support existing entrepreneurs
- Draw on your own & the teams expertise & network to support portfolio companies where possible
- Build close working relationships with founding teams of portfolio companies
- Manage complex situations within the portfolio including performance management, follow-on rounds, & exits
- Monitor financial health & viability of portfolio companies & present options on addressing investment concerns and/or exit strategies, where applicable.
- Build & maintain strategic relationships with VCs, entrepreneurs, advisors, & the Expa community, in addition to the broader tech community
- Be a representative & champion for Expa, deepening our network & strengthening our position in the ecosystem
- 4+ years previous experience, preferably financial/investment experience (e.g., venture capital, private equity, banking, consulting) and/or management/operational experience (e.g., operational startup experience, business development)
- Bachelors degree required, MBA preferred
- Strong analytical skills & attention to detail
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Driven, self-starter with the ability to work both independently & in a team setting
- A strong passion for tech investing & knowledge of the VC ecosystem