Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing & retirement solutions for retail investors & investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small & medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making peoples lives better. Were headquartered in NYC, & offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) & select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
The Customer Experience team at Betterment is key to enhancing our customer-focused product, supporting its users, & is relied on by every team in our organization. As a Customer Support Associate, you like working with people, fixing things, & are a master of the art of the analogy. You understand what it means to be a champion of a brand. You are the voice for customers, & relish providing them with that wow moment. You understand what it is like to be a customer, & appreciate going above & beyond to delight people & solve their problems. In this role, you will be joining a tight-knit team that is an integral part of the organization.
Recent graduates welcome!
This role is 100% remote. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position in locations with pay transparency requirements. For those located elsewhere, the actual compensation offered will be based on candidate experience & geographic location. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, & performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterments total compensation package for employees. We are hiring in all states except: NY, NJ, PA, CT, CA, ME, WA
- Colorado: $45,000 - $52,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental & vision benefits, & a 401(k) offering with employer match as well as a flexible PTO policy.
A day in the life
- Deliver above-and-beyond customer service & experiences through phone, email, live chat, & social media channels
- Explain complex transactional & investment principles clearly, helping prospects & customers understand the benefits of our products
- Troubleshoot customer issues & concerns, investigating why they happened, & communicating with multiple teams to find rapid resolutions
- Act as the internal voice of the customer, offering insights to all areas of the business to help build a better product
What were looking for
- Expertise with customer service, financial services, or retail banking
- Exceptional written communication skills & ability to build rapport - you will speak with our customers through email & in real-time over our live chat feature
- Interest in becoming a subject matter expert in finance & personal investing
- Technical savvy, specifically the ability to navigate multiple complex systems simultaneously to respond to customer inquiries
- Problem-solving skills & the ability to take the initiative to use available resources to find an answer to a customers problem
- Flexible availability, generally between the hours of 9-6 ET
- Customer service experience, including (but not limited to!) retail, call centers, restaurant industry, or other client relationship management
- Strong & reliable WiFi connection is required. A laptop & necessary equipment for the role will be provided.
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, & ourselvesand we wont stop until we reach them. We dont just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes & strive to uphold our supportive & inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, & vision insurance; life & AD&D insurance; STD & LTD benefits, including infertility support & World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; & generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own & lead change & affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
Well take a few weeks to review all applications. If wed like to spend more time with you, well reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, well look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, & motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability & sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, were unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, & our Recruiting Team is here to support & advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter or email email@example.com.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.