Nextdoor is the private social network for you, your neighbors & your community. Nextdoors mission is to provide a trusted platform where neighbors work together to build stronger, safer, happier communities, all over the world.
Are you passionate about using the power of technology to build community? Do you believe residents can strengthen their neighborhoods through dialog & collaboration? Would you like to join a transformative company & play a meaningful role in crafting its future? If so, wed love to meet you.
Were seeking an experienced software engineer to design, build & maintain scalable, distributed systems that power Nextdoor's neighborhood communication platform. You will work with multi-functional teams to translate product requirements into elegantly designed backend services that scale gracefully as our service grows. You will be responsible for designing & scaling interfaces, data stores, & backend services that power our iOS, Android, & HTML5 frontends.
- You are passionate about building clean APIs for fellow engineers, writing crisp design documentation, & building, debugging & maintaining highly available distributed systems
- You value software quality & have experience writing test suites that ensure bullet-proof correctness
- You have experience building tools & automation that can aid in programmer productivity & work to eliminate downtime in both the system & the development process
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science with specific interest in systems engineering; 2+ years industry experience preferred
- Proven entrepreneurial spirit & experience as a self-starter - ideally at your own business or on your own side projects
- Experience working on high-performance technical teams & software engineering projects
- Strong fundamental understanding of data structures & algorithms
- Extensive experience in one or more of the following languages: Go, Python, Java or C++ (Go/Python preferred)
- Experience designing, building & debugging distributed systems
- Experience architecting & deploying distributed systems on the Amazon AWS EC2 platform
- Familiarity with software engineering standard methodologies (e.g., design patterns, peer code reviews, unit testing)
- Strong collaboration & communication skills, both verbal & written
- Experience writing technical specifications & design documents
- Ability to be flexible & adaptable in a dynamic start-up environment
- Strong desire to learn about new technologies & systems