Senior Counsel (Advertising, Events, & Marketing)
WHO WE ARE
The Legal & Business Affairs team of Vox Media has an opening for a Senior Counsel position who will be responsible for a wide array of revenue-related transactions. Were looking for a business-minded attorney who has experience with digital & programmatic advertising, custom content, & e-commerce partnerships. This position reports to the Associate General Counsel while working closely with other members of the Legal & Business Affairs department, as well as internal business teams. This position is perfect for an attorney who can work within a team & has had exposure to a broad range of transactional matters relevant to digital advertising. While this is listed as a New York position, we are considering candidates who are regional to NYC in order to allow periodic travel to Vox Medias New York City offices.
The Legal & Business Affairs department is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about whats now, whats next, & whats possible.
As a community of journalists & storytellers, business professionals, creators & technologists, we believe it is a moral & business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, & inclusion throughout our organization & media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, & our platforms, products, & partnerships.
WHAT YOULL DO
- Negotiate & draft agreements with advertisers & ad agencies, including insertion orders, master services agreements, custom content addenda, & other documents related to the creation & distribution of advertising content.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with a wide variety of business units, including the ad sales, partnerships & strategy, ad ops, branded content, agency services, finance, product, & marketing teams.
- Advise & counsel internal stakeholders, including senior leadership, to identify critical legal issues, assess potential legal options, & provide advice & recommendations.
- Supervise other team members, potentially including those who work on agreements related to production of branded content (including talent & influencer agreements, & production & professional services agreements), programmatic advertising, & international sales.
- Support efforts to create efficiencies, including developing policies, processes, & templates.
WHO YOU ARE
- You must have a law degree from an ABA-accredited law school & must be a member in good standing of at least one state bar.
- 5+ years relevant legal and/or business affairs experience, preferably in-house or at a law firm working in media, digital media, and/or entertainment industry(ies).
- Experience working with brands & advertising agencies, including familiarity with insertion orders & IAB terms & conditions for digital advertising.
- Skills & experience necessary to advise on a broad range of the legal issues related to digital advertising businesses, including intellectual property & consumer protection issues.
- Experience working in a cross-department, cross-functional role requiring excellent client relationship skills, including the ability to independently solicit the advice & input of different stakeholders as necessary & appropriate, preferred but not required.
- Excellent negotiating skills, keen analytical abilities, a pragmatic approach to problem solving, as well as a track record of success in handling complex business & legal issues in a fast-paced, technology-driven business environment.
- Proven ability to quickly understand complex products & services, while identifying key issues & risks & offering creative solutions for business enablement.
- Professional, personable, approachable, & courteous demeanor.
- Creative, collaborative, 'roll up your sleeves type of team player, who can function independently & within a team & adapt to changes in circumstances.
- Prior people management experience is preferred, but not required.
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch!
WHERE YOULL WORK
This job is either based in NYC or regional to NYC in order to allow periodic travel to Vox Medias New York City offices. Were dedicated to the health & wellbeing of all of our employees, & when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves & create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products & services come from people with all manner of backgrounds & experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work & sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights & best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency & communication. Learn more about our values here, & our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
WHAT COMES NEXT
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, & how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.