Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, & grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult & expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware & software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, & more. We're working to find new & better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms-and we're looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Square's eCommerce team is building better website experiences for merchants & online shoppers. We're seeking a full stack engineer who is passionate about building applications to help our sellers succeed in building great online stores, thus empowering millions of small merchants to focus on their businesses & not their business technology. You will help build features to create a world-class e-commerce experience for both our sellers & their customers.
- Improve our website builder & online store platform,
- Build elegant user-facing web experiences that combine intuitive interfaces with smooth performance at scale,
- Lead projects from technical discovery to delivery,
- Write testable & well-documented frontend & backend code,
- Design & build systems that manage sensitive customer data while holding Square to the highest standards for security & compliance,
- And work with an amazing group of engineers while leveraging your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar.
- BA/BS degree in computer science or equivalent,
- 5+ years of practical experience building frontend single page applications (SPA),
- 5+ years of practical full stack development work experience (ideally using PHP, & even Laravel),
- Experience building large web applications in a distributed environment & can make pragmatic engineering decisions,
- Interest in working full-stack, from optimizing database transactions to building distributed systems & frontend web applications,
- And a track record of pursuing self-directed side projects, research, or open source projects.
Web Technologies we use:
- VueJS with Vuex
- PHP with Laravel
- Redis & Memcached
At Square, we value diversity & always treat all employees & job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, & talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name & preferred method of contact, & we will respond as soon as possible.