Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, & thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
CockroachDB helps anyone who needs to scale fast, survive anything, & thrive everywhere. This role will report to the Corporate Engineering Manager & work closely with the Security & Engineering Teams. The company has doubled in size in the last year with continued accelerated expansion.
We are seeking a Client Platform Engineer with experience in deploying, configuring & maintaining Linux enterprise clients with a deep understanding of developer environments. In this multifaceted role, you will work on building hardened SOC2 compliant Linux workstations for our engineering team as well as assist the Corporate Engineering team with other projects. You will help build various platform automations, configuration management, & administer other services. Since the company is young, this role will need to be flexible & willing to work with our team on various projects across the Corporate Engineering organization.
- Be responsible for maintaining/building/troubleshooting our Linux workstation environment
- Contribute to other flavors of endpoint management (MacOS, Windows, Virtualization)
- Expand our automations for deployments
- Work closely with the Security team on maintaining endpoint compliance
- Work with OSquery, Munki and/or similar tools
- Write & maintain documentation for both internal team use as well as for end users
- Work on systems intended for use in multiple cloud environments
- Work as an escalation point for the global Corporate Operations team
- Assist the Corporate Engineering team with broader projects such as Okta, Virtualization, New Office Expansions, Automations, SAAS tools, etc
In the first month, you will join your Corporate Engineering Team & learn the processes in place for our various IT systems. We believe that it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology, company, & our culture.
By your second month, you will be owning our Linux endpoint initiative, working closely with Security & our engineering teams to build out our Linux developer offering. You will begin to determine the parts of our developer environments that can be improved & work with your manager to build a project plan.
As our team grows, you will have the opportunity to shape the direction of our corporate infrastructure. We want our employees to have a seamless productivity experience. Our best work should be invisible.
We also offer technical training & experienced mentorship to help you learn & grow into whatever you wish it to be.
- 5+ years experience in Linux systems development, management
- Experience with at least one high-level programming language
- Experience managing & communicating the deployment of changes to production environments
- A security mindset & experience using open source & enterprise tooling
Reporting to Richard Dachtera - IT Operations Manager
Richard is the founding member of the Corporate Engineering team at Cockroach Labs. Over the last year hes owned every aspect of the organization bringing the company to SOC2 compliance. Before Cockroach Labs he spent five years at Dropbox as their founding Corporate Engineer hire in New York & then Seattle. Outside of work hes an avid photographer, with rolls of film easily found in his coat pockets. Also Richard is the unofficial photographer for the company, volunteering his time to take headshots for all employees.
Isaac Wong - VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality & innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, & consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology & culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano, & search NYC for cannoli's with his wife & kids.
- 100% health insurance option (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Learning & Development budget
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.