BuzzFeed is the worlds leading independent digital media & tech company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally & spreads Joy & Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform & entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, & Unsolved to name a few! These properties & their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters & more.
BuzzFeed News is hiring a copy editor for its English-language bureaus. We're looking for a news hound & self-professed "word nerd" with an eye for grammar, spelling, punctuation, & syntax, with a heightened awareness of language choices when editing sensitive content, & who thrives in a fast-paced newsroom.
BuzzFeed News copy editors must be familiar with a range of subjects, the effects of our reporting about them, & the nuances demanded in the way we write about them. These include politics & government, race & inequality, science (e.g., the coronavirus), tech, & influencer culture.
This job is full-time & based in Los Angeles or New York City. You will report to the copy chief. We offer a great benefits package & a stock option program.
- Copyedit breaking news, essays, investigations, features, newsletters, videos, graphics, & app/display copy for sensitivity & inclusion, style, grammar, punctuation, spelling, consistency, clarity, & concision
- Discuss & craft updates to the BuzzFeed Style Guide
- Brainstorm tweets for the @styleguide Twitter account
- Contribute to the Quibbles & Bits newsletter
- At least 3 years' postgraduate work experience as a copy editor for a digital media publisher
- Impeccable copyediting skills
- A passion for internet & pop culture & familiarity with the day's top headlines
- Experience editing copy for sensitivity, accuracy, inclusiveness, & consistency without losing tone or voice
- An active interest in the evolution of language in the internet era, recognizing when it's important to deviate from the AP Stylebook & Merriam-Webster's dictionary
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.