As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Vox Media Podcast Network is looking to bring on a GM, Audio to help our podcast line of business meet its revenue goals by aligning content, revenue & operational strategies including partnerships.
What you'll do:
30%: LOB Management, Planning, & Strategy
- Coordinate annual planning & budgeting exercises to align editorial, revenue, & product strategy to goals
- Along with the President of Vox Media Studios, manage P&L, partner with finance on budget, partner with revenue team on ad revenue strategy & goals
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders on strategic direction for line of business including sourcing / developing inorganic growth opportunities
- Prepare & present quarterly business reviews to executive management as well as other periodic reports & presentations on the business
- Attend industry events & conferences to stay current on the pulse of industry, represent VMPN in market & network with potential partners/talent/content creators
- Develop wide network of industry contacts & represent & elevate VMPN in the marketplace along with other business leaders
- Project management of important initiatives & leadership of cross-functional & cross-divisional projects related to the LOB
30%: Partnerships + Biz Dev
- Revenue Expansion
- Co-production deal flow (Stitcher, iHeart, Spotify,) live/Conferences packaging & strategy, etc
- Licensing & other revenue generating opportunities
- Audience & Capability expansion: tech platforms (megaphone/simplecast), distribution/syndication partnerships (PRX, WNYC); pub platforms (Apple, Google, Spotify)
- This will require partnering with other department stakeholders from within Vox Media on a case-by-case basis (e.g. Corp Dev on potential downstream acquisition target in tech platform; marketing on large distribution partnerships, Legal on various deal components, etc)
- Talent relations/business intel sharing: Lead QBRs for Networks & select shows/talent, manage business aspects of 3rd party talent relationships (e.g. Switched on Pops payments, contract renewal conversations, etc)
- Partner with legal & other relevant stakeholders on contracts & execution of relevant LOB relationships
20%: Strategic Ad Sales
- Work with Revenue leadership to support strategic advertising partnerships
- Support senior revenue leadership by participating in internal brainstorming for large-scale strategic partnerships; support sales efforts for key audio tentpole/programming activations
- Support Vox Creative in efforts driving new ad product development/strategy
- Support Ad Ops in yield strategy, pricing, planning strategy & subsequent platform conversations
- Support Marketing & team on editorial packaging & sales positioning for audio roll-outs
- Work with other GMs to develop incremental revenue opportunities for Networks
- Serve as editorial representative in revenue environments (sales meetings, brainstorms, etc)
20%: Content Development:
- Support VP, EP of Audio in assessment of new programming by modeling market opportunity & financial viability of content & ensuring sound deal terms
- With support & consultation from VP, EP of Audio, lead conversation around acquisition of programming, developing deal structures & shepherding through close with legal
- With VP, EP of Audio manage strategic framework for Network show development to help give direction to Network audio stakeholders
- Support deal structures/economics as conversations advance within Networks if any third-party involvement (i.e. talent)
- Working with Network stakeholders on new product development (e.g. Flash Briefings)
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.