Common is the nations leading residential brand offering convenience & community through coliving & traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 40+ buildings, 7 cities, & over 1,500 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free & all-inclusive living environment, & for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, & Washington, D.C., & receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
Its an exciting time to be part of Commons team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, & so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, & embrace a whatever it takes mentality to ensure our work is done & done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology & real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the worlds rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves & has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology & service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, & learn about what its like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, & Twitter. To see more open roles & hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
We are looking for a hard-working, motivated individual to join our growing accounting team! You will play a key role in delivering accurate, timely financial reporting to our internal & external business partners. This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of a fast-paced, high energy company. This role reports to the Accounting Manager.
- Manage the accounting function for a portfolio of co-living & traditional residential properties
- Analyze the general ledger for each property, prepare journal entries, calculate accruals & maintain detailed work-paper files
- Prepare reconciliations of all cash accounts, reserves & escrows
- Maintain fixed asset & depreciation schedules
- Assist in the resolution of tenant billing inquiries with member services & legal departments
- Assist in the preparation of annual budget & forecast for properties
- Prepare & distribute external reporting, providing detailed explanations of variances
- Monitor cash balances & request capital funding, as needed
- Support the year-end financial statement audit, as well as any statutory audits that may arise
- Assist accounts payable by reviewing invoices, expense reports, & capital expenditures to ensure proper accounting treatment, coding, & business unit approval
- Other ad hoc projects from time to time
- BA in Accounting, with property management experience, strongly preferred
- 1+ years of relevant work experience
- Self-sufficient & comfortable taking charge in a start-up environment
- Detail-oriented & willing to spend time sorting through any problem that arises
- Extremely proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Has a comprehensive knowledge of GAAP
- Emotional Intelligence
- A team player with a can-do attitude
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees & wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy & professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable & valuable health & wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation & sick time, medical, dental & vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, paid parental leave & a 401K. Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates & qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.