Who Are We?
At General Assembly, we are creating a global community of individuals empowered to pursue work they love, by offering full-time immersive education programs, long-form courses, & classes & workshops on the most relevant skills of the 21st century from web development & user experience design, to business fundamentals, to data science, to product management & digital marketing.
Established in early 2011 as an innovative community in New York City for entrepreneurs & startup companies, General Assembly is an educational institution that transforms thinkers into creators through education in technology, business & design at nine campuses across four continents.
The role of a Senior HR Business Partner is to solve complex organizational challenges through people-related solutions. Youll need to understand every aspect of the business & be a thought leader on People & Organizational topics. Youll partner with your business leaders to decide how we staff, onboard, develop, motivate, retain & organize work. This is a remote role can be based anywhere in the United States or Canada.
- Act as a resource & advisor to employees & managers on performance management, coaching, new hire onboarding, integration & company policies & procedures
- Partner with leaders across the organization to develop & support human resource processes & procedures to ensure accurate, timely & consistent delivery to all staff
- Coach employees on employee relations matters including employee concerns, performance, performance improvement plans (PIP), training & development, advancement, etc.
- Coach managers on employee relations matters including employee concerns, management of performance issues, exit strategies, selected recognition, etc.
- Assume a key role in the content creation & execution of trainings as part of the larger L&D vision
- Work with managers as appropriate to help ensure matching of project opportunities with employee development needs & other elements of Career Management
Experience & Education:
- 7+ years of progressively more responsible HR experience including at least 3 years of experience with organizational development, leadership development & training best practices. Must be used to building & delivering training sessions in a classroom or for remote team members, via Google Hangout or other similar channels.
- Prior experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Performance management
- Employee relations
- Compensation management
- Benefits administration
- New hire integration
- Policy review & interpretation
- A *Plus* to have experience in: Global HR, supporting an Inside Sales function
- Strong ability to frame issues & solutions quickly & concisely.
- Strong leadership, change management & facilitation skills required.
- Excellent written & oral communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities & competing deadlines while maintaining attention to detail.
- Effective at building credibility quickly & maintaining relationships with clients, employees & HR partners.
- Proven ability to manage confidential information.
- Ability to work independently, a self-starter & proactive problem solver
- Ideally has attended some GA programming
- Approachability Is easy to approach & talk to; spends the extra effort to put others at ease; can be warm, pleasant, & gracious; is sensitive to & patient with the interpersonal anxieties of others; builds rapport well; is a good listener; is an early knower, getting informal & incomplete information in time to do something about it.
- Composure Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesnt show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis.
- Integrity & Trust Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate & helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesnt misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
- Interpersonal Savvy Relates well to all kinds of people, up, down, & sideways, inside & outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive & effective relationships; uses diplomacy & tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
- Informing Provides the information people need to know to do their jobs & to feel good about being a member of the team, unit, and/or the organization; provides individuals information so that they can make accurate decisions; is timely with information.
- Organizational Agility; understands the cultures of organizations. Knowledgeable about how organizations work; knows how to get things done both through formal channels & the informal network; understands the origin & reasoning behind key policies, practices, & procedures; understands the cultures of organizations.
- Dealing With Ambiguity Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide & act without having the total picture; isnt upset when things are up in the air; doesnt have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk & uncertainty.
- Decision Quality Makes good decisions (without considering how much time it takes) based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, & judgment; most of his/her solutions & suggestions turn out to be correct & accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice & solutions.
- Action Oriented Enjoys working hard; is action oriented & full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others.