Vox Media employees thrive on innovation & change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, & improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology & the world around them. Vox Medias networks & businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, & the Vox Media Podcast Network.
As Production Attorney for Vox Media, you will be responsible for a wide variety of legal matters related to production legal affairs. Daily tasks may include structuring, drafting, & negotiating a wide range of production-related documents, analyzing & interpreting contracts, & providing thoughtful legal advice on potential risks & issues in a wide range of legal areas, including intellectual property / copyright. You will also analyze & interpret contracts & provide thoughtful legal advice on potential risks & issues in a wide range of legal areas, including intellectual property/copyright.
This role is NY-based & may require occasional travel to our regional offices.
What youll do:
- Structure, draft, & negotiate production services & talent agreements (both above/below-the-line) for Production Studio, including showrunners, actors, writers, producers, directors, vendors, releases, music & asset licenses, & deal memos.
- Vet scripts & conduct watch-downs of video cuts for copyright/fair use, trademark, right of publicity, defamation, & clearance issues.
- Advise on day-to-day production issues (including music rights, guilds, clearance, & S&P)
- Partner with Vox Medias creative & production teams to identify goals & help the teams to get where they want to go in a way that is consistent with Vox Medias risk profile.
- Analyze & interpret contracts & provide thoughtful legal advice on potential risks & issues in a wide range of legal areas, including intellectual property, guild issues, working with minors, & content regulations
- Handle claims related to Vox Media Entertainment programming
- Mentor & train a team of in-house attorneys & clearance professionals, providing leadership & skill-sharing in all matters of legal production.
What you'll bring:
- Ideal candidate will have 5-8 years of experience at an entertainment law firm, network, studio, or production company. Must have substantial experience working with television production & networks; OTT network production experience a plus.
- Deep understanding of substantive areas of law related to television production, including copyright, trademark, right of publicity, labor, & privacy.
- Comfort with risk assessment & problem-solving, with an emphasis on thinking outside-the-box to suggest creative alternatives in tough situations.
- Ability to prioritize & provide quick turn-around for pre-air legal review of programming & related marketing materials.
- Experience navigating issues related to the various entertainment guilds.
- Experience working with synchronization, mechanical, & related music licensing deals.
- Strong work ethic & meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to lead & mentor, to work within a team to strengthen & grow skills & proficiency.
- Excellent writing & organizational skills, including clear & effective written & verbal communication skills, negotiating skills, strong drafting abilities & a can-do, no job is too small, team attitude.
- Professional individual who can build strong relationships, both internally & externally, & is able to comfortably interact with all levels of employees.
- Law Degree from an Accredited University; bar admission that can be used in-house in New York State.
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.