Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. A few years later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 75+ in SoHo, NYC. Weve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, & more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year & helps them lead better lives, join us!
As the leader of Marketing Creative at Codecademy you will play a vital role in spreading the Codecademy mission, helping us reach & educate people all over the world by sharing the Codecademy story; along the way building our user base & driving membership.
To accomplish this, you will lead the Marketing Creative function, improving upon our current approach & toolset, ensuring on-brand, effective creative assets & extending us into new territory as we expand our Marketing efforts overall. Developing an internal team is a priority, though the ability to leverage external resources is important as well. This position extends across the Codecademy business, including both B2C & B2B responsibilities.
The successful candidate will implicitly understand the importance of conveying a brand consistently, communicating on an emotional level across many different formats & media, & embrace the notion of taking the brand to new places. Of equal importance is the ability to pull it all together by building an effective production operation.
This role reports to the VP of Marketing.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Take our existing Creative practice to the next level - identifying opportunities to expand the breadth of our creative, taking a bold approach to truly engage audiences, & ensuring consistent excellence across Codecademy creative
- Offer leadership & contribute to the overall Marketing strategy, plan & prioritization
- Encourage & enable the team to excel in the quality, efficacy & volume of their work
- Maintain consistent brand voice, expression, & visual styles in all deliverables
- Collaborate with leaders of other functions, including Product Marketing, Channel Owners, Design, Product Owners, & others
- Guide the day-to-day creative & production for all marketing activities
- Develop annual, quarterly, & sprint level plans to ensure work is focused on the most important activities & aligned to our capacity
- Identify & scale best creative practices
- Build scalable end-to-end work flows for creative, ensuring delivery is aligned to design standards, on-time, within budget, & meets/exceed stakeholder expectations
- Identify signals to create feedback loops that inform the efficacy of various message, design, & art direction techniques
- Determine creative team resource methods, including freelancers, consultants, agencies, & production partners
- Provide regular communication ensure transparency & ensure shared expectations across stakeholders
- Guide creative to ensure work aligns with Design patterns & standards
- Ensure effective Creative tools & devices that sync with our Design & Product teams
- Mentor & develop Creative team members
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 10+ years of expertise in creative & production management in a creative agency and/or internal creative marketing team
- Expert knowledge of creative engagement processes (ie, working with creative briefs, setting realistic turnaround times for creative projects, developing & maintaining standards for brand & communication)
- Experience selecting & managing agency partners
- Extensive experience across digital media formats & experiences, experience in traditional media is helpful
- Experience tracking projects in collaborative tools
- Experience working with cross-functional teams & departments
- Strong written & verbal communication skills
- Business judgment; strategic & analytical capabilities
- Ability to prioritize & multitask, managing multiple projects with tight timelines
- A team oriented mindset & an ability to relate to others & develop sound relationships
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT
- Experience working with international expansion
- Experience in working with Agile is a plus
- Subscription marketing experience & managing toward customer acquisition
- Interest in coding or passion for empowering others through coding education is a plus
- B2C & B2B marketing experience
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product & in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- & works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.