ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
The tech team at theSkimm is a group of experienced, resourceful programmers who build tools throughout the tech stack, often connecting components together in innovative ways to maximize scalability & maintainability. At theSkimm, engineers work in lockstep with product managers, growth analysts, & designers to devise project plans that prioritize improving our audience's experience while balancing frequent iterations & thoughtful source code changes.
We're looking for an iOS engineer to join a collaborative team & build future iterations of theSkimm app, one of the highest grossing apps in the News Category of the App Store.
WHAT YOULL BE DOING
- Work as a part of the iOS team to build, test, & ship regular releases of theSkimm app to the App Store
- Define new components & refine existing ones as theSkimm advances on an aggressive product roadmap
- Lay a strong foundation for future development by writing Swift code every day
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
- 4+ years of experience
- Experience working with Swift
- Experience working with an existing Objective-C codebase & a sense of pragmatism when it comes to rewriting legacy code in Swift.
- Proficiency with Apple frameworks & tools
- Experience building custom user interfaces using technologies such as Core Animation, Gesture Recognizers, or UIKit Dynamics
- Experience writing Unit Tests with XCTest
- Experience automating tasks with Fastlane & CircleCI (or other CI tool)
- Deep knowledge of App Store review processes & Apple iOS guidelines, especially around interfaces & in-app subscriptions
- Experience as a key member of a team that has shipped at least one app to the App Store.
- Experience collaborating with API Developers, particularly as relates to building API specs & contracts
- Along with smarts & humility, be a team player - serve as a collaborator with Skimm HQ'ers in editorial, design, analytics, & customer service
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Familiarity & enthusiasm for theSkimm: passion for our audience & mission
- Desire to bring theSkimm app up to speed with the latest & greatest in iOS
- A history of working with media & information applications, & the considerations they bring (accessibility, formatting of text, ad measurement considerations, etc)
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than 12 million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.