Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
About the role:
Planets Professional Services team helps customers adopt the Planet Platform & rapidly realize return on investment in Planet data & analytics.
Professional Services Solutions Architects are experienced technologists who work with Planets highest profile customers to architect their implementations of Planet's product offerings. For this role, as a Solutions Architect you will be responsible for implementing new software & web applications that extend the Planet platform & deliver new capabilities for our customers. Youll perform advanced design, development, & implementation of Planet Professional Services software solutions.
This position is being offered full-time with the candidate able to work either on-site in Planets office in Berlin, Germany or remotely in Europe.
Impact youll own:
- Build & maintain geospatial solutions for Planets highest profile customers. Help customers, from C-level executives to software architects, be successful with implementing the Planet Platform.
- Participate in all phases of the software development lifecycle, from design, implementation, documentation & testing & help set standards & champion processes across the team.
- Assist the project scoping process with requirement collection & documentation, transforming them into solution/software design & providing technical feedback on proposals.
- Lead the technical delivery of solid & maintainable software. Develop features across multiple subsystems including collaboration in prototyping, design, coding, testing, & deployment.
- Package & support deployment of releases. Prepare reports, manuals, & other documentation on the status, operation, & maintenance of software, as needed.
- Support the Planets commercial organization by analyzing & resolving technical & application problems both internally & externally.
What you bring:
- Computer science, software engineering or related degree with 5+ years demonstrated experience working with Python for building geospatial applications to process imagery, manipulating vector data, interacting with APIs & building data processing pipelines.
- Experience with remote sensing data analysis & delivery, e.g. using OSGEO, GDAL & other remote sensing specific software tools.
- Proficiency developing & debugging complex software systems in both Linux based OS & Windows environments.
- Solid understanding of cloud computing environments & deploying & administering solutions in cloud server environments.
- Experience using JIRA or similar issue tracking software.
- Good communication skills & able to work in a geographically distributed team environment as well as to manage multiple tasks & perform work on time.
What makes you stand out:
- Experience with RDBMS (PostgreSQL, SQL) & distributed databases (NoSQL).
- Experience with containerized build & deployment processes & container orchestration systems like Kubernetes.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays & regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment & flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks & meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing empowering spaces for connection & mentorship
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.