Senior Director, Data Scientist Customer Experience
Walmarts Customer organization is evolving to the next generation, with a focus on providing the best online & in store experience for customers. Customer Science is an integral part of this organization that leads the customer science, planning & strategy development, customer journey, communications, as well as in store & online experience for the 140 million U.S. customers that shop at Walmart every week. Whether in store or online Walmart is serving customers changing needs of retail.
As a part of Walmarts Customer Science team youll be the voice of our customer. Why? Because Sam Walton founded our company with the belief that the customer is #1. Its not just a belief, but our way of doing business. With the customer at the forefront, we have the ability to help deliver the easiest shopping experience at the lowest cost, both digitally & physically. Thats where you come in.
As the Senior Director, Data Scientist Customer Experience, youll lead a group of experienced insights consultants to enable customer centric decision making with a variety of insights & analytics tools. You will consult with our senior executives to help them envision the future & prioritize where to invest in their businesses based on customer needs & pain points. You will be a thought partner & trusted advisor to the business & marketing leadership as well as develop key strategic partnerships, ensuring that the customer is always at the center of strategic discussions. Your role will require not only customer advocacy but also deep industry expertise as well as a strong appreciation for Walmarts business strategies & processes.
- Leads the continuous improvement of data science & analytics across the enterprise by researching industry best practices & staying up-to-date on analytical practices; developing innovative solutions, processes, & techniques; evaluating & recommending vendor products & services; integrating third-party solutions into current processes; developing & recommending process standards & best practices to drive consistency across the enterprise; & mentoring peers & analysts across the division in analytical best practices.
- Consults with business stakeholders on data-based insights by serving as the data science subject matter expert for the enterprise; developing enterprise-wide analytical strategies; identifying trends across the enterprise; translating results into actionable recommendations; identifying potential consequences to proposed plans & providing alternative recommendations; & presenting insights & recommendations to senior leadership.
- Leads analytic strategies for the company by collaborating across the enterprise to define long-term strategies & ensuring data analytical support to drive those strategies; collaborating with cross-functional leadership to ensure & influence alignment of business strategies with data & analytic strategies; aligning global strategies & ensuring translatability across geographic locations; analyzing business direction & identifying key insights needed; developing enterprise-level statistical models to drive business decisions; directing multiple project teams to determine project plans & direction; developing software tools & forecasting engines; building large datasets to support project goals; utilizing big data & mining technologies (for example, data mining & text mining); developing statistical models & algorithmic frameworks to analyze data; ensuring models & frameworks are applicable to future projects; utilizing exploratory data analysis to drive predictive modeling; building learning systems to analyze & filter continuous data flow & offline data analysis; & presenting data insights & recommendations for business strategies to key stakeholders.
- Leads enterprise-wide analytic projects by working with key stakeholders to determine business opportunities; integrating global opportunities into one unified solution; translating opportunities into analytical formulations; aligning project plans across the enterprise to ensure consistency; leading project teams & delegating responsibilities; developing timelines for project execution; holding project team accountable for deliverables; developing complex algorithms to solve complex business problems; utilizing business knowledge to ensure data supports business strategies; developing recommendations based on data analysis; & presenting recommendations to key stakeholders while influencing future strategies based on insights.
- Provides overall direction by analyzing business objectives & customer needs; developing, communicating, building support for, & implementing business strategies, plans, & practices; analyzing costs & forecasts & incorporating them into business plans; determining & supporting resource requirements; evaluating operational processes; measuring outcomes to ensure desired results; identifying & capitalizing on improvement opportunities; promoting a customer environment; & demonstrating adaptability & sponsoring continuous learning.
- Develops & implements strategies to attract & maintain a highly skilled & engaged workforce by diagnosing capability gaps; recruiting, selecting, & developing talent; supporting mentorship, workforce development, & succession planning; & leveraging the capabilities of new & existing talent.
- Cultivates an environment where associates respect & adhere to company standards of integrity & ethics by integrating these values into all programs & practices; developing consequences for violations or non-compliance; & supporting the Open Door Policy.
- Develops & leverages internal & external partnerships & networks to maximize the achievement of business goals by sponsoring & leading key community outreach & involvement initiatives; engaging key stakeholders in the development, execution, & evaluation of appropriate business plans & initiatives; & supporting associate efforts in these areas.
- Make Sound Judgments
- Promote a Customer/Member-Focused Environment
- Optimize Execution & Results
- Advocate Planning & Continuous
- Influence & Communicate
- Promote Ethics & Compliance
- Demonstrate Adaptability
- Think & Act Strategically
- Promote Reputation & Social Responsibility
- Talent: Identify & Grow Talent
- Build Relationships
- Some travels domestically to & from multiple facilities or work-sites requiring consecutive overnight stays.
- D. or MS in Computer Science, Statistics, Computational Linguistics, Artificial Intelligence, Operations Research, Mathematics or related fields.
- 8+ years of work & research experience / data science experience.
- Deep understanding of machine learning & interest in applying it at scale.
- Experience with data cleaning, preparation, & feature building & selection techniques.
- Experience working with large data sets to solve problems.
- Experience with Spark and/or Hadoop would be very helpful.
- Experience with deep learning library like TensorFlow and/or PyTorch is highly desirable.
- Experience with GPU Computing is highly advantageous.
- Prior hands-on experience with Python, Java or Scala & the ability to write reusable & efficient code to automate machine learning pipeline & data processes.
- Effective communication, interpersonal & teamwork skills.
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent projects while working independently & in teams.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced & deadline driven environment.
- 8+ years experience with statistical programming languages (for example, SAS, R).
- 8+ years experience with SQL & relational databases (for example, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server).
- 5+ years experience with big data analytics