Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. Almost a decade later, we are a growing, diverse team of 100+ headquartered in SoHo, NYC. Weve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, & more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year & helps them lead better lives, join us!
As the first Communications Designer to join the Codecademy team you will play a pivotal role in elevating our existing visual design & driving human-centered visual content throughout the organization. Through close collaboration with cross-functional teams you will push the boundaries of our visual expression into new & exciting territory.
Communications Design is vital in helping those who share our vision of a forward-thinking, accessible tech education to truly see us, & it helps millions of learners to encounter, understand & practice new skills. As we scale our product further, the importance of excellent, consistent visual design will only increase. You will help us reach our goals by thinking creatively & exercising your craft to build a bigger Codecademy that our learners can love, while also establishing & guiding our teams on consistent use of design patterns.
The successful candidate will have a history of thinking outside the conceptual box while delivering well-crafted & reliable results. You will have thrived in fast paced environments, using your exceptional communication skills to evangelise boundary-pushing visual designs. You will have demonstrated success in collaboration with cross-functional teams to drive consistency & to release work on deadline. We are looking for someone who can balance rigor, velocity, & inventiveness to shape the future of learning for millions of people.
WHAT YOULL DO
- Translate Codecademys existing brand principles into a consistent, expressive & strategic framework for visual communication, & contribute to its continuous evolution
- Contribute to our scalable visual design system of type, color, layout & communication components
- Create branded identities & artwork for our suite of products, web pages, events, exhibitions & swag
- Establish a conceptually-grounded direction for visual expression & execute with precision
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams as well as fellow designers, establishing & meeting deadlines
- Support our team with guidance on human-centered visual expression.
- Work within our high level visual guidelines, but know how to experiment & push into new territory
- Challenge yourself & teams to strive for excellence, establishing & communicating a high bar for quality
WHAT YOULL NEED
- You are comfortable with a fast-paced environment, being flexible while maintaining high standards & an attention to detail
- You are comfortable creating responsive, interactive designs as well as working in print
- You collaborate well with others, skilled in accepting & also giving feedback, & are comfortable participating in our regular critique sessions with design peers
- You lead by creating inspiring visual designs, establishing & communicating a consistent vision, planning for success & delivering on expectations
- You understand how to sketch/prototype in order to support quick collaborative work with minimal wasted effort
- You are proficient in industry tools & have ability/willingness to learn new skills. At Codecademy we use Figma, Adobe Suite, Principle, HTML/CSS/JS.
- You have a strong command of typography, layout, color & illustration
- You are confident at presenting ideas to both peers & stakeholders
- You have experience designing in a self-directed way with multiple stakeholders across a company
- You have a portfolio showcasing mature visual design skills & an ability to meet complex problems with thoughtful & efficient solutions
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT
- You are fluent in designing with code
- Your bring your life experiences & outside creative pursuits with you to enrich your perspective as a designer
- You are a lifetime learner
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product & in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- & works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.