The Editorial Assistant at the Grand Central Publishing imprint will provide editorial & administrative support to the Editor-in-Chief & the Publisher.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Write catalog, cover & promotional copy & preparing fact sheets.
- Prepare contract requests & process payments.
- Communicate with authors & agents about queries, payments, sales information, etc.
- Traffic editorial projects through Production, Copyediting, & Marketing, & secure appropriate approvals.
- Enter title data into proprietary databases system & track data throughout publishing process.
- Prepare pre-acquisition materials, including profit-and-loss statements.
- Read & report on manuscripts, proposals & books submitted for publication.
- Draft rejection letters for materials submitted for publication.
- Coordinate meetings & events.
- Perform administrative duties, including: photocopying, sorting mail, filing, directing/responding to phone calls, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Minimum of 1 year of publishing experience preferred (internships ok) or other editorial work experience.
- Excellent organizational, writing, & administrative skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of & interest in wide array of nonfiction
- Solid computer skills, particularly Excel & databases.
- Strong communication skills (verbal & written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual & group settings regardless of audience.
- Must be results driven, & take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations as needed.