Lead Full Stack Engineers collaborate with our user experience & product management teams to craft our consumer-facing applications. As a member of this team, you strive for building products & features that youre proud to share with friends & family. We aim for fluid, delightful user experiences & will need to leverage the entire stack to help realize these goals. Were not only tackling difficult questions of scale & architecture but also interaction, simplicity, & ease of use to deliver the best financial advice possible to our customers.
At Betterment youll get to:
- Build things people love. Our goal is to delight our customers whenever possible. Sleek design, simple user experience, & access to sophisticated financial advice.
- Collaborate with purpose. Youll be a member of small groups working alongside talented thinkers that are always striving to find new ways to solve problems. We experiment, iterate, learn, & repeat.
- Teach & Learn. As a Lead Engineer, we expect & desire you share your knowledge with new & junior engineers. Help mentor & grow our team professionally as well as learn from our leaders to level up your own talents.
- Gain trust through transparency. We believe in taking the guesswork out of investing. That means a consistent experience for our customers youll build the tools to make it possible. We already have the best UX in the business. Lets make it even better.
- Create efficiency. Our software helps customers save time & money. We maintain it through a clean code, pragmatic programming, & lean engineering.
- Work with people who care. Engineering is the largest team, but we believe everyone at Betterment is an engineer with their own tools. Were a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. Were smart, innovative, energetic, & lots of fun.
Tackle tough business challenges:
- Integrate with real-time identity-verification services & our internal fraud-prevention system to create the fastest signup & funding process in the industry
- Work side-by-side with our investing team to build innovative, state-of-the-art financial advice algorithms, & then pair up with the design team to deliver an award-winning user experience powered by that advice
- Reinvent the financial advisor space by building next-gen customer management & analysis tools from scratch
- Partner with our retail, data & investment teams to bring Betterment's technology to a brand new market
Youll be effective if:
- Have experience in at least one server-side language - Ruby, Java, C#, C++, Python. We build our apps in Ruby on Rails.
- Have proven & recent experience building & leading projects
- Have a strong command of fundamental algorithms & data structures
- Have a passion for software engineering, & for creating what doesnt exist
- Know how to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality
- Realize that automated tests are a worthwhile investment
- Appreciate agility & pragmatism in software development
- Thrive in a startup environment
Tools in your belt:
Engineering spends much of its time with the tools above, but we strive to always choose the best tool for the job. Youll be working alongside teams that live-and-breathe a variety of languages & frameworks & will help us define the idioms to decouple systems that communicate via RESTful APIs & other protocols.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $15 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers long-term returns & lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, & other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies & uses technology to deliver them to more than 370,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, & Betterment for Business.Learn more.