Magic Leap (ML) is looking for a senior/lead research engineer to join the Eyepiece R&D & manufacturing group. The candidate will work with research scientists & manufacturing engineers to produce innovative products with market leading quality & optical performance. This role provides the opportunity to perform early-stage development of components for commercial AR/MR devices. Responsibilities include:
- Inkjetting performance optimization for novel nanoimprint resists, including waveform development & on-tool process optimization
- Work with colleagues & equipment vendors to develop fluid dispense systems for functional materials, including nanoimprint resist
- Develop new resist drop patterns & drop generation algorithms to optimize on-tool processes
- Build up model that identifies preferred ink rheological properties for optimum inkjet printing performance
- Study liquid flow characteristics around through nano-scale features
- Study root causes & recommend / implement solutions for inkjet instability such as drop deviation, nozzle misfiring, nozzle blocking, faceplate liquid/gel build up, drop volume fluctuation, etc.
- Deliver a scalable, turnkey inkjet solution to equipment & process engineering teams
- Work closely with applications & software teams to transfer development work into manufacturable processes
- Collaborate with fellow engineers in the use of inkjet-based nanoimprint lithography to fabricate optical prototypes
- Actively engage with optical design teams to come up new concepts & idea for eye piece KPI improvement
- Use photonic sense & prototyping expertise to trouble shoot optical performance issues, including eye piece display artifacts
- Demonstrate excellent judgment regarding critical observation, problem solving, & proactive decision making to meet aggressive schedule
- Write high quality & detailed research summaries & present to internal & external audience
- Comfort & experience working in a clean room environment, including working around chemicals.
- Experience coding with Python, Matlab, or a similar language.
- Excellent communication skill is required.