The Strategy & Incubation group (S&I) at CB Insights is a new group that will focus on strategy development for the company & the incubation of new businesses. The groups activities include corporate strategy, customer & market insights, & the launching of new businesses (akin to an entrepreneur-in-residence).
A core focus of the group will be on identifying & building businesses in new growth areas that will expand the business boundaries of CBI. This is not a traditional corporate strategy role. It will be insanely fast-paced with high expectations to analyze & launch a number of businesses which we can ultimately scale up.
- Refine existing new business ideas through research & client / prospective client feedback
- Incubate projects in growth areas by using a test & learn approach: Develop hypothesis, design, execute & measure experiments to build conviction, adjust or stop
- For businesses we deem worth launching, launch them & get them to a minimum scale that general managers can be brought into run & scale those further
- Do end-to-end work to launch a new business which may include doing everything from product marketing to sales enablement to conducting & closing sales opportunities with prospects
- Discover unmet customer needs & extract customer needs/challenges that inspire the ideas for tomorrows businesses
- Build cross-functional, dedicated teams that can go from concept creation to graduation of concepts into businesses for scaling
- Create clear ownership for project tasks for team members
- Present recommendations, key findings, progress & challenges to senior leaders on at least a monthly basis
- Collaborate with a network of internal & external partners to identify, launch & refine business ideas
- Bachelors Degree in engineering, business or equivalent required. MBA or advanced degree preferred
- 8+ year experience working in technology start-ups, product planning groups, or consulting firms including creation & delivery of novel products or experiences
- Broad knowledge of the enterprise growth process including the inorganic & organic strategies (build, buy, partner) organizations employ, the challenges they encounter & ideas on how they can be done better
Keys to success
- Move fast - We are a challenger brand. Speed is a weapon. We believe an imperfect but mostly right answer today is better than a perfect answer tomorrow. We want to test & launch new business ideas quickly. Being tenacious & relentlessly resourceful is key.
- Magnet for talent - You must have managerial experience including building amazing teams & leading & developing teams with diverse skill sets
- Humble - We have developed strong antibodies to arrogance or hints of arrogance
- Helpful - This role will require building strong partnerships throughout CBI & with clients. Being a helpful colleague is important.
- High IQ - You will be developing & analyzing a number of markets & business ideas which may be quite varied. You should be able to deal with ambiguity, understand ideas quickly & use a systems thinking mindset to look at an opportunity to understand the constituent parts to understand where the opportunities & challenges may arise & how to prioritize.
- Great communicator - You should be able to synthesize information quickly & cogently present it both internally & to clients via the appropriate medium (presentation, phone, blog post, etc).
- High standards- This one doesnt require much explanation