Blenheim Chalcot is the UKs leading digital venture builder. We build tech start-ups that are geared to disrupt & transform sectors. We invest more than just funds, we invest our knowledge & experience, our ideas & our infrastructure.
Our ventures are at the forefront of a multitude of industries covering FinTech, EdTech, Media, Sport, Charity & more. You may have heard of some of our growing businesses such as ClearScore, Agilisys, Instrumental, Hive Learning & the Rajasthan Royals.
The jewel in our crown is our venture builder services team, which exists to support our ventures to be successful more quickly & more sustainably than others, giving them an unfair advantage over the competition. It provides a range of services to help new business get off the ground, including technology, HR & talent, sales & marketing, finance, legal & tax.
Our portfolio represents sales of over 300 million, 850 million of assets under management, more than 3,000 employees & a successful track record of over 40 companies. We currently have a portfolio of 20 companies varying in stage from seed to venture to growth, based in our offices across London, Nottingham, New York & Mumbai.
IMPACT BEYOND PROFIT
Building profitable digital businesses isnt our sole focus. We are also involved in a range of charitable activities with colleagues engaged in mental health initiatives, the education of girls in the developing world, building 21st century youth facilities in deprived areas, & supporting charities with the use of digital technologies.
Please visit https://www.blenheimchalcot.com/charities for more information.
Our culture is inclusive, modern, friendly, smart & innovative we seek to employ bright, positive thinking individuals with a can-do attitude. Our people enjoy challenging themselves to be the best at what they do if that sounds like you, youll fit right in!
- Never stop looking for a better way of doing things;be curious
- Building businesses is fast-paced & fluid;be nimble
- Sharing knowledge & networks builds better businesses;be collaborative
- Understand getting the best out of people is better for everyone;be supportive
- The best ideas arent always your own;seek diversity
- Decisions should be driven by analytics & customer insight;embrace data
- Keep going when the going gets tough, be open to feedback & willingness to change & experiment;be resilient
- Keep promises, drive to achieve, commit to deliver high quality work;be dependable
- Knowing why we are doing something & that it matters makes us better at what we do:be clear onpurpose.
We are looking for someone to take on the role of Venture Financial Controller, a new exciting opening to work across the portfolio to deliver Financial excellence. The successful applicant will be part of a dedicated team working across early stage ventures to provide them with a complete Finance function.
The duties of the role include:
- Working across a number of different portfolio companies
- Leading a small team with scope to expand in the future
- Liaising with Finance shared service colleagues in India
- Responsibility for ensuring the accuracy & control of all finance activity for the ventures covered: invoicing, procure to pay, employee expenses, payroll, management accounting, VAT calculations, credit control, corporation tax calculations, monthly commentaries, cashflow reporting & statutory reporting.
- Identifying & executing efficiencies in the regular weekly & monthly tasks
- Involvement in a General Ledger upgrade plan
- Conversations with senior stakeholders in the businesses
- Create a centre of Financial excellence to use as a business development prop to grow new client relationships within the portfolio
- Ad hoc tasks
The ideal candidate will be a qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA or equivalent) with at least 5 years PQE. It is essential that the successful applicant is comfortable delivering simultaneous solutions to a number of ventures & be able to mentally flick between the demands & manage the relationships of each one. Excellent communication skills are essential to being successful in this role where a significant number of daily interactions using phone or VC capability. The successful candidate may also be required to travel between UK offices for up to 8 days a month.
The Ideal Candidate
- A qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA or equivalent) with at least 5 years PQE
- Experience of managing a team
- History of working with a deployed Finance team
- Experience of working with stakeholders in different locations
- Ability to take complex financial information & produce intuitive reports or presentations to non-financial people
- A proactive self-starter
- A willingness to roll their sleeves up & get stuck in to diagnose & resolve an issue
- Quick learner with a desire to put themselves outside their comfort zone
- An effective communicator with remote teams & colleagues of varying seniority
- Be able to get stuff done with minimal supervision
- Mental agility to juggle work with different ventures
- A right first-time attitude
- Able to travel within the UK for up to 8 days/month
- Always striving to improve processes & ensure they meet stakeholder needs
- Excellent Excel & PowerPoint skills
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- The opportunity to work with ventures across different industry segments
- Access to CEOs & other senior decision makers within each business
- Be part of the UKs leading digital venture builder & have the opportunity to be a part of & learn from the incredible talent in BC
- Be exposed to the right mix of challenges & learning & development opportunities
- A fun & open atmosphere
- Discretionary bonus
- 25 days of paid holidays
- Life Assurance 4 x annual salary. Pension Scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme, Childcare Vouchers
- Flexible Benefits: Private Medical, Gym Subsidiaries, Dental Cashplan
We have a rigorous recruitment process which we use for all our roles to ensure we attract the very best talent. Our process includes:
Pre-screening with a recruitment professional
First round a case study & two interviews with a combination of Managers, peers & HR which may also include a psychometric test
Second round Interviews with Directors
Third round Interview with CEO & Partners
Individuals seeking employment at Blenheim Chalcot must note we see diversity as a really positive thing that actually creates a better workplace & delivers better outcomes, so we are really keen to maximise the diversity of the workforce & actively encourage applications from anyone & everyone