The Lead Site Reliability Engineer will be responsible for creation, maintenance, & ongoing monitoring of key parts of Newsela's infrastructure stack. You will be writing code primarily in Terraform & Python to build out a sustainable & reliable platform for our suite of applications & services. Additionally, you will contribute to the discovery, experimentation, & selection of critical parts of our software development lifecycle, from continuous integration to release management & instrumentation. You will work with other members of the Site Reliability & Engineering teams to ensure that the code & infrastructure created are well documented & easy to understand by developers of all skill levels. Reporting to the Vice President of SRE & Data Systems, you will partner closely with our application development teams to ensure that the code that they write is easily deployable to a highly available & performant environment, both in the course of active development & within production environments.
Why youll love this role:
- As a member of our growing site reliability team, you will have the opportunity to impact the student & teacher experience by ensuring our applications are highly available & incredibly performant
- You will also gain exposure to a wide scope of technologies, from container orchestration & data pipelines to observability platforms & release management tooling
- Youll have the opportunity to make substantial decisions about the direction of Newsela's infrastructure as code platforms
- You will have the responsibility & opportunity to manage & optimize the cost effective SRE deliveries, and lead & mentor a talented team of Site Reliability Engineers
- You will have a direct impact on overall application uptime & quality, which will ultimately scale Newselas ability to bring engaging, culturally responsive learning content to K-12 classrooms nationwide
Why youre a great fit:
- You have 7+ years of experience in a site reliability engineering, devops, or platform engineering roles in a cloud environment using AWS, additional experience with GCP is a plus
- You have strong experience in building infrastructure solutions using Terraform
- You are very comfortable in using Python language & bash scripting for building tools & platform engineering solutions
- You have experience with Database Operations using Postgres and/or MySQL
- You have strong experience in building & maintaining CI/CD pipelines using tools like Drone, CircleCI, etc, alongside experience working with containers (Docker, Kubernetes), & networking (TCP/IP, VPCs, DNS)
- Youre comfortable working with observability solutions including logging, monitoring, & alerting using tools like AWS Cloudwatch, Datadog, Sentry, Loggly, or similar tools
- You have demonstrated success in managing & extending cloud platforms, & you have a good understanding of cloud data security standards, OAuth, JWT, etc.
- You are able to leverage your experience in cloud infrastructure management to effectively build reliable, performant, & easy to use platforms to host & observe our suite of applications
Base compensation range: $125,000 - $175,000. Total compensation for this role also includes incentive stock options & benefits. This compensation range may be adjusted based on actual experience.
One of the fastest growing tech companies in K-12 education, Newsela was founded on the principle that while every child may have unique learning preferences, they all deserve a rich learning experience that ignites a love of learning. We built our platform based on learning science research to deliver the most engaging, authentic content to modernize how teaching happens in the classroom. Along with interactive assessments & tools, we provide teachers with digital content at five reading levels -- from +100 of the best sources -- that is relevant to the diverse backgrounds & interests of their students. Since we started in 2013, weve established a presence in 90% of U.S. K-12 schools & over 2.5M teachers & 37M students have registered with Newsela.
Why youll love working at Newsela:
Health & Wellness: Access to the worlds leading medical experts for healthcare (pets included!). Discounts & resources to stay healthy: mind, body, & soul
Work From Home: Almost all of our roles are fully remote - tech stipend included!
Supporting ALL Families: Supplemental programs & time off to take care of your family & yourself
Time Off: Flexible PTO to recharge, including Sabbatical Leave
Inclusive Experiences: Robust DEIB curriculum, Identity & Experience Groups (Affinity Groups + Employee Resource Group), Authentic & Transparent conversations with Executive Leadership Teams, & integration of DEIB lens across Talent lifecycle processes
Professional Development: Holistic Learning & Development Programs that enable meaningful & inclusive experiences, programs that build future-focused competencies, cohort & community learning sessions that foster a sense of belonging, & individual development plans aligned with your personal & professional aspirations to turn goals into reality.
Make A Difference: No matter your role or department, the work you do each day helps share the future of education & improves the lives of students & teachers.