Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data & technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. Were the most-visited car-shopping site in the US & we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
The Digital Retail team at CarGurus is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead exciting projects in the automotive space & help mentor others. As a member of this group, your team will play a huge part in helping transform the way people buy cars by enabling a full online retail experience & building the most innovative online car purchasing platform available.
This is a very exciting time for CarGurus & is a huge opportunity for you to be a part of something truly amazing. Our startup DNA means we particularly value diverse set of backgrounds & perspectives. Come help build the next phase of CarGurus!
What You'll Do:
- Manage a team of talented engineers while providing technical leadership & mentorship to the broader team
- Collaborate with fellow engineers, designers, product managers & data analysts to take an idea from concept to technical design to implementation to testing to measurement
- Take generic tasks & break them into small, self-contained tasks. Accurately estimate & prioritize units of work & drive the incremental release of moderately sized projects
- Roll up your sleeves & pitch in wherever there will be the greatest impact. This could be anything from implementing a new full consumer facing feature, to integrating with a key partner or technology, to a quick vapor or A/B test to help determine whats next.
- Be deeply engaged in the full development lifecycle designing, developing, testing, deploying, maintaining, monitoring, & improving software
- Work with partner companies to define requirements to integrate their solutions with our platform
- Advocate for new technology & new methodologies
- Continuously learn & expand your capabilities
- Have Fun!
Who You Are:
- 10+ years of relevant work experience needed with 3+ years in a lead/manager role
- Customer & product focused mentality with demonstrated experience leading efforts delivering new features
- Experience in management, technical leadership & mentoring engineers with their technical & career growth
- Strong project management skills, experience with Agile methodologies a plus
- Expert in OOP (Java preferred), ideally in fast paced environments
- Solid experience in the data layer including SQL, caching strategies, & storage alternatives
- Ability to iterate & ship ideas quickly, with loose direction
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Curious & plays well with others
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women & other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat & see if you could be a great fit.
At CarGurus, we invest in our peoples professional growth with everything from learning & development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks & benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, & more. That includes equity in the companyour way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the worlds most trusted & transparent automotive marketplace, but trust & transparency dont just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves & their potentialwhere you dont just fit, you thrive. We dont discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
We recognize that flexibility plays a critical role in enabling our people to thrive in both their personal & professional lives. We currently welcome Gurus into our Cambridge, MA office on a voluntary basis but do not require employees to physically be in the office. We will adopt a hybrid working model when health experts & government officials in our local communities deem it safe to do so. Specific arrangements within this model will be up to team leaders discretion; we encourage you to discuss your questions & needs during the interview process.
All US CarGurus employees are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. This helps us to safeguard the health of our employees & their families, our customers & visitors, & the community at large.