The Mozilla Firefox Performance team is a community of engineers who care deeply about delivering the fastest browser possible. We are the team responsible for making all parts of the browser go fast.
Our team is geographically-distributed, & working in the open is the norm. We contribute to the code driving the Firefox browser on a number of platforms - Windows, Android, Linux, & macOS. Our focus is on finding & fixing things that slow down the browser as well as helping other teams write fast & reliable code to make Firefox excellent for users.
Do you have a knack for finding a needle in a haystack? Do you approach problems by looking at the system as a whole? Do you like making things blazing fast? If so, wed love to hear from you.
What you'll do:
- Write code & tests, build prototypes, tackle problems, profile & analyze performance bottlenecks
- Learn about a wide variety of problems & solutions across a large, mature codebase (ex: what can slow things down when you have old code talking to new code & what can we do about it?)
- Help to educate engineers on other teams about writing more performant code through code reviews, giving talks, and/or writing documentation
- Work with driven, committed team members to help bring the Open Web to millions of people
- BS/MS in CS, CE or 3+ years relevant work experience
- You take an experimental approach to solving problems (including a sense of measurement, basic statistics, & using experiments to diagnose an issue or prove out a solution)
- Care deeply about making the browser fast (it takes trial & error to make an impact on performance, were looking for someone who is determined & passionate)
- Strong debugging skills
- An interest & ability to work in a distributed team (which requires good asynchronous written communication skills as well as good verbal communication skills)
Bonus points if you have any of the following:
- Strong background in native application performance (e.g., C, C++, D, Rust, Java/Kotlin)
- Systems experience (multithreading & concurrency, disk I/O, CPU, etc)
- Experience with profiling
- Familiarity with Android or Windows OS application programming, profiling & debugging
We value a variety of voices on the Frontend Performance Team & at Mozilla. You don't need to check every box on this list to apply.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open & free is better than closed & controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform & help create more opportunity & innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.