Thrillist is looking for an energetic writer with a sense of humor to join our news team & help us cover the timely, fast-moving stories in Thrillists core coverage areas of food, drink, travel & entertainment. The ideal candidate is someone who knows how the internet works & how people find & read stories every day. You have an ability to spot big stories before they blow up, advance the most talked-about stories with new reporting, & add meaningful things to the conversation. A particular interest & expertise in one of our key coverage areas is preferred, as well as an ability to write a wide variety of stories with humor & enthusiasm -- everything from the latest stunt foods from Taco Bell, to spectacular flight deals, to the dankest memes of the day.
We value writing that is clean, clear, & useful to our audience, & we strive to strike the right tone for the right story, being funny at the right times without trying too hard or being snarky or mean-spirited. A writer in this role must also be willing to not only accept constructive feedback & editing, but also utilize it to improve over time. Additionally, they should have the ability to work autonomously within the Thrillist brand framework, making important editorial decisions without a ton of minute-to-minute oversight. The best candidate will have a good understanding of how every story should be packaged & optimized for distribution on social, search, & newsletters.
Good reporting is equally important. Were seeking someone who isnt afraid to pick up the phone to chase down a detail that everyone else has overlooked & ultimately find an angle thats different from whats already been said. This person should also be hungry to own a beat by cultivating sources, paying close & consistent attention to specific coverage areas, & being first to the best stories. They should constantly seek out trusted sources for their beats & build relationships with them to bring additional authority to our coverage.
If you think you might have the skills & experience to do the job, wed love to hear from you! And if youve been looking to or have recently launched a career in digital journalism, this is your opportunity to join our growing team.
- Write 4 (typically 300-600 words), informative, punchy news stories every day.
- Use solid news judgment & editorial instincts to create stories that align with the values of our site, & also attract large audiences, particularly on Facebook & via search.
- Consistently write clean copy.
- Source grabby images & video that perfectly reflect each story's content.
- Collaborate in lockstep with the SEO team & social team to plan & optimize the distribution of each story.
- Use third party listening tools, but also devise your own unique & creative paths to finding, reporting, & telling the very best stories out there. This includes building & maintaining a strong rapport with sources.
- Devote consistent attention & reporting on subjects & take ownership of beats within our key coverage areas.
- Seek out & cultivate working relationships with trusted sources to enrich your coverage with expert authority & the heads-up on big news.
- Bachelor's degree with at least 2 years of writing experience for a competitive digital publisher
- A fast news metabolism & an analytical mind: you jump on news quickly & are always looking for the next big story
- Fundamental understanding of SEO best practices & an eagerness to learn more
- An interest in storytelling across genres (explainers, narrative, Q&As, etc.) & platforms (written, video, social, etc.)
- An eagerness to do the reporting that brings fresh, original angles to stories
- A demonstrated talent for news analysis
- Must be available to work evenings, weekends, holidays, or whenever assigned
- A constant commitment to writing tight, clean, bulletproof copy
- A strong understanding of how content on the internet works
We have amazing people. We can promise youll work alongside some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. From pride to wellness to diversity, employees lead clubs that matter. We also know how to host a top-notch happy hour. Bottom line: we care about each other & we take our values seriously.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better once youre here.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental & vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Knowing that time out of the office is as important as time spent in the office, our vacation, sick, & federal holiday allowances ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value diversity & inclusivity. Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
We serve snacks, cold brew, coffee, & tea. Who needs anything else?
Group Nine reaches more people on mobile than any publisher in the U.S. Our mission is to tell great stories that spark action & make a real difference. With nearly 45M Americans engaging with our content every day [source: Nielsen Digital Content Ratings, January 2019], Group Nine's brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 70% of Americans ages 18-34 every month [source: Nielsen, December 2018]. Audiences spend nearly 3 billion minutes a month engaging with our category-defining brands - NowThis, the no. 1 most watched mobile news brand in the world; The Dodo, the no. 1 animal brand on digital; Thrillist, the most trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; & Seeker, the no. 1 science brand in the U.S. In 2017, Group Nine acquired Emmy nominated, Cannes Lion & Sundance Film Festival award-winning production studio, JASH.