Hi, we're Oscar. We're hiring a Design Researcher to join our Design org in our NYC office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
About the role
Our Design Org is a multidisciplinary team that examines the entire member journey & considers the design of systems to be as important as the artifacts we make. Our practice is human-centered, our work is rooted in empathy & research, & we lead by example & with our values.
As our Design Researcher: you will help us better understand the behaviors, needs, & motivations of our diverse population of members. In your day-to-day, you will deploy a wide range of primarily qualitative methodologies with minimal guidance in order to uncover opportunities for innovation & provide deep human insights needed to impact product strategy.
This role reports into a leader on our Design team in the NYC office.
- Define & measure UX approaches, metrics, & work with core stakeholders on research planning. Innovate & develop new approaches to measure user experiences.
- Build & execute impactful research plan(s) that provide the broad market views & deep customer insights needed to impact strategy & UX.
- Prepare research sessions by recruiting the right participants, planning interviews, & designing stimulus & tools to capture insights.
- Synthesize research findings to uncover insights & identify opportunities leading to the development of new products, features, & frameworks. Accountable for identifying gaps & member pains, as well as potential customer delighters.
- Communicate the business value of research & concepts to business leads, peers, & stakeholders as well as creating compelling documentation of our research. Exceptional storytelling & communication skills are required.
- Contribute to & explore new methodologies & processes to continually raise the bar & streamline our work.
Your experiences & your demonstrated skill sets are far more important than your level. If you are interested, feel free to apply regardless of your level.
- 2+ years of hands-on research and/or product planning experience, with demonstrated skill in collecting & analyzing human behavioral data to improve plans & UX in a technology industry.
- Concrete examples of compelling ways to communicate insights, opportunities, & ideas.
- Experience applying research & creating frameworks, tools, & concepts that can inspire tech teams.
- Examples of working collaboratively & independently, balancing experimentation with rigor.
- Genuine & inquisitive, humble yet strong. Were a team thats excited to learn from each other & from ourselves, whether thats through wild ideas or constructive criticism. We work hard to nurture a creative environment where we can take risks, grow, & do better work.
- This is initially an individual contributor role but is likely to evolve into a people manager role in the near future. Prior people management experience is preferred.
- Spanish language proficiency. Experience conducting discovery research & testing features with english & spanish speaking participants.
- Illustration or other visual techniques to convey ideas.
- Masters or PhD in Human Computer Interaction, Cognitive Psychology, Information Science, Anthropology, Sociology, STS, or related technical field.
Life at Oscar
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant's disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.