Build the Operating System for Global Trade
Flexport is a platform for global trade in an industry that comprises 12% of the global GDP. We are the first licensed freight forwarder & customs brokerage built around a modern tech stack. We help the world's fastest-growing brands manage their international supply chains, providing a fully-managed service for moving products between any two places on the planet.
Exceptional software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of fixing the user experience in global trade. At Flexport youll develop products that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries. Youll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems & streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry. Youll have the opportunity to reshape an industry by creating the new operating system for global trade.
The Ops Tools team is responsible for building the services that freight forwarders use to move goods around the world. We study the work that people do in freight forwarding, develop software & processes to make it more efficient, & ultimately automate much of it. The role involves learning the business of freight forwarding, modeling the work that people do to move freight, designing solutions to make it more efficient, & automating much of it. As a Staff Engineer, you will be responsible for architecting & leading projects that cut across multiple teams. You will be a mentor for other engineers & will help define the long-term roadmap for your team.
We are looking for engineers who love learning, are passionate about collaborating, & desire to build solutions with a global impact. This role will be located in Bellevue, WA.
- Craft the architectural strategy, & own the technical landscape, for a major domain in the world of logistics that powers global trade.
- Design systems that represent the real-world intricacies of logistics entities, such as cargo, routing, customs, & pricing.
- Work closely with business partners & product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Build & launch products rapidly & incrementally. We ship to production dozens of times per day.
- Geek out about shipping & logistics. (We do this often.)
- You play a significant role in the career development of others, actively mentoring & educating the larger software engineering community on trends, technologies, & best practices.
- Model business processes to ingest costs & variances, understanding root cause, analyzing discrepancies, automating remedies / disputes to detect & stop financial leakage.
- Design simple solutions to onboard partners to broaden financial visibility coverage. Create services to automate business processes & consolidate them into central logic hubs.
- Drive data accuracy architecture & improvement loops through various subsystems.
What youll build:
- Determine, in real-time, the cost to move freight between any two points in the world.
- Automate archaic filing processes & save the operations team thousands of phone calls per week.
- Deliver supply chain insights to logistics teams via a world-class analytics experience.
- Predict capacity on container ships & match cargo to space on those ships.
- Bring trade to everyone in the world.
You should have:
- 8+ years of experience writing software, & a strong engineering background.
- Experience building large scale, high-performance systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed environment
- Knowledge of at least one programming language such as Ruby, C, C++, Java, or Kotlin
- 5+ years of design & architecture knowledge as well as familiarity with object-oriented analysis & design patterns (OOA/OOD)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend & hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, & engineers alike.
- Understanding of performance tradeoffs, load balancing & operational issues
- Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing, & operations
- Non-optional: an aptitude for learning quickly.
Engineering Culture & Values:
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. Thats why its our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology & data analytics, logistics infrastructure, & supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients & suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital & Y Combinator. Were excited about the three big ways were moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Dont be! Were building the first Operating System for Global Trade. Thats why its incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds & experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- Whats freight forwarding & why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination & shipment of goods from one place to another & its what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world & break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. Thats why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated & engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating & nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical & mental disability, health status, marital & family status, sexual orientation, gender identity & expression, military & veteran status, & any other characteristic protected by applicable law.