About This Position
As a Financial Planner at Ellevests NYC headquarters, you will have the opportunity to help shape our financial planning client experience, working closely with our Director of Advisory Services to deliver & scale our services. You will participate in individual client-facing & community engagements online & over the phone, bringing with you a comfort with those forms of communication & your knowledge from 5+ years of work on financial planning issues such as cash flow management, debt repayment, saving for retirement & other major goals, etc. Your coaching mindset & educational approach will help clients make independent & informed decisions about their financial goals & stay on track to achieve those goals over time. While this position does not require you to bring on your own clients, your sales-friendly attitude will be an asset to a quickly growing line of business. The icing on the cake is your experience & comfort with speaking to groups of 20+ people via webinars or in-person settings.
- Provide financial education & guidance to clients via 1:1 phone sessions & email on topics including budgeting, debt repayment, emergency funding, retirement planning, saving for other goals, & in limited amounts, insurance & estate planning.
- Collaborate with Advisory Services team members to maintain a financial planning experience with a consistent methodology, philosophy, & process
- Support the development of the financial planning client experience, including writing content, assistance in creating webinars or other presentations, building community with our clients, & implementation of technology to help scale our services
- Collaborate with our product & design teams on the various Ellevest platforms (website, mobile app, etc.) to help improve client experience
- Present educational workshops & webinars to groups of 20+ people in a variety of settings (clients, prospects, non-profits, corporate employees, professional associations, etc.) via webinar or in person
- Comply with Ellevest methods & guidelines, & uphold our documentation & organization standards to meet compliance requirements
- Promote professional & team development by maintaining an in-depth understanding of financial planning, capital markets & the financial services industry; stay aware of significant changes or developments (e.g. taxation, regulatory, legal, competitive, technical) within the fields of investments & financial services
- CFP certification that is current & active; other designations are a bonus
- 5 years minimum of broad financial planning experience; high volume experience serving Gen X/Gen Y clients is preferred
- Outstanding oral & written communication skills, high emotional intelligence, & the ability to translate complex financial topics to audiences of different levels of experience & knowledge
- Experience relying on & adapting to new technology
- Willingness to partner with the Ellevest brand & forgo any potential conflicts with existing brands in order to best serve Ellevest clientele
- Some ability to travel for workshops or client events (less than 10% travel)
- Adapt to a fast-paced & dynamic work environment. This includes working independently & on a team, as well as the ability & willingness to pivot when something is not working to try a new strategy
- Passion for our women-oriented mission
Ellevest is a transformative technology company created to help women achieve their financial potential. Ellevest helps women take control of their financial futures through investing, with an easy-to-use app & website backed by a gender-smart algorithm that factors in things like longer lifespans, pay gaps, & career breaks. Ellevest was co-founded by Wall Street veteran Sallie Krawcheck, chair of the Ellevate Network, previously CEO of Smith Barney & Merrill Lynch Wealth Management, formerly CFO of Citi, & author of Own It: The Power of Women at Work. Ellevest has raised $70MM from investors like Rethink Impact, Pivotal Ventures, Valerie Jarrett, Salesforce Ventures, PayPal Ventures, MasterCard, Khosla Ventures, Morningstar, & Venus Williams.
Ellevest has flipped the traditional approach to investing with a real-life, goal-based approach. Clients select personal financial goals such as buying a home, starting a business, raising a family, & retiring well, among others. Ellevest is unique in taking into account a womans longer lifespan & different salary curve, combined with her current financial picture, to construct highly customized investment portfolios for each of her goals. Ellevests unique algorithms are designed to get the client to her goal number or better in 70% of market scenarios, higher than traditional financial advisors.
Working at Ellevest
Ellevest is a leading tech company in New York City, with a thriving team across our engineering, product, marketing, client experience, investments, & operations organizations. We place a major emphasis on building a team & working environment where individuals can succeed professionally & personally. As a team member at Ellevest, you can expect to make a difference through your work, to have a direct impact on the achievement of a very meaningful mission, to significantly advance your career trajectory, & to have room for fun & fulfillment in your daily life. We know that achieving a mission as critical as ours requires incredible talent & teamwork, & team is the most important thing to us.
In 2019, Ellevest was named as one of LinkedIns 50 Hottest Companies to Work For, as well as a spot on CNBCs Disruptor 50 list, identifying start-ups on the cutting edge of huge consumer, tech & business shifts both for the second year in a row. In 2017, Ellevest was named one of Entrepreneur Magazines 100 Brilliant Ideas, & CNBC listed Ellevest as one of their Top 25 Most Promising Startups on a path to becoming tomorrows household names. We are working every day to make this a reality, & create a brand & a service that closes the female money gap.
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Note: Instead of a cover letter, we ask you to answer the three questions at the bottom of this application.