Since our inception in 2009, Foursquare has been a leading force in changing how location information enriches our real-world & digital lives. As a location intelligence company, Foursquare is comprised of two well-known consumer apps, Foursquare & Swarm, as well as thriving media & enterprise products. Our B2B offerings include Places (for developers), Pinpoint & Attribution (for marketers), & Place Insights (for analysts, based on the world's largest foot traffic panel). With more than 200 people across our offices in New York, San Francisco, Chicago & in sales offices around the globe, were dedicated to our trailblazing missionenriching consumer experiences & informing business decisions with location intelligence.
About our Engineering Team:
As a member of Foursquares engineering team, we want you to bring experience building real products from the ground up. We're passionate about tackling tough challenges in the location space & look for others who like to dive deep into code & help solve hard problems. You should be comfortable running with your own ideas & eager to learn new skills on a bleeding edge platform. We use a variety of tools, technologies, & languages to build software (Scala, Thrift, MongoDB, Memcached, JS/jQuery, Kafka, Pants, Hadoop, MR, Spark) but experience with equivalent ones will do just fine.
Join us & help bring our feature ideas (and your own!) off the whiteboard & into reality. Here are some high-level areas you could help within our NY, SF & Chicago offices:
- Improve the accuracy & efficiency of one of the premier Place search APIs in existence. Our API powers Foursquare City Guide & Swarm as well as apps from Microsoft, Uber, Samsung, Twitter & more
- Build the future of mobile location awareness through new features in the Pilgrim SDK
- Leverage machine learning techniques to build systems which process & derive insights from billions of location data points every day
- Launch features that make cities easier to explore & continue to push the Foursquare City Guide & Swarm apps forward
- Build resilient services & tooling which drive all of our offline processing of petabytes of data
- 5+ years of proven experience building software for fast growing web or mobile products
- Solid foundation in computer science fundamentals with sound knowledge of data structures, algorithms, & design
- Strong Java or other object-oriented programming experience or, even better, experience and/or interest in functional languages (we use Scala!)
- A plus if comfortable mobile development or working with mobile engineers
- Bonus points for experience using Hive, Hadoop, Scalding, Kafka, or MapReduce
- Comfortable in a small & fast-paced startup environment
- Bachelors Degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.