View All Jobs
Do you often nerd-out reading through API-documentation for your favorite platform-based apps, looking for new ways to build cool features on top of an open platform? Do you find yourself sitting smack-dab in the middle of the intersection between Engineering & Product? Then youd be right at home as a Technical Product Manager on our Product team here at Updater!
At Updater, were looking to solve one of the most universally relatable problems -- moving. Everyone has moved at least once & everyone thinks moving is painful. Updater is solving that pain at scale. Were a well funded & growth-focused company, with technology that touches nearly 50% of all household moves in the US annually, & were growing quickly.
As a Technical Product Manager, youll apply product management best practices to contribute to the evolution of our technology platform, which powers our suite of consumer-facing applications that work to ease the lives of millions of movers every year! Youll collaborate with world-class startup teams of Product Design, Engineering, Data, Marketing, & Sales.
Youll also have a huge impact on Product culture at Updater. While the company has been around for a few years, our Product organization is small (but growing!). Youll report directly to Updaters President & have the opportunity to influence not only your product area, but the evolving role of the Product team & the direction of the business as a whole. Its a unique opportunity to have both the stability of secure funding & huge market share, plus the fast-paced, high-ownership environment of a younger startup.
The secret sauce driving our incredible growth is a robust platform that allows us to provide our users with a diverse set of products & services across all aspects of their moving journey, from TV/Internet packages, to renters & homeowners insurance, & even local full-service moving companies! This platform already has dozens of integration partners, & were constantly expanding the platform to support new products & features.
About the Role
- Design API interfaces & functionality that enhance our product & make it easier for developers to develop on the platform
- Collaborate with the Engineering team & other business stakeholders to design & build internal tools & services to accelerate the delivery of new products for our users, & to evolve Updaters technology platform that enables scale through automation & reduction of manual processes
- Build out new functionality for our provider integrations platform for TV/Internet providers, & other home services
- Partner with our Data team to create a recommendation system to provide product recommendations best tailored to our customer's needs
- Empathy: you strive to see the world from our users' point of view in order to anticipate their needs
- Humility: you have an opinion, but arent afraid to be proven wrong, & are open to suggestions on what tool or technique is best to most efficiently solve a problem
- Strong Communication: optimism & a forward-looking attitude with a clear, inspiring communication style tailored to both technical & non-technical stakeholders
- Comfort with Ambiguity: flexibility & leadership through times of change with the ability to navigate & resolve ambiguity
- Minimum of 3 years experience in a technical product management role, working on designing & building APIs for internal or external consumption
- Excellent API documentation skills
- Experience collaborating with & leading Engineering teams to deliver robust internal tools & services
- Experience with Java or Ruby programming languages
- Ability to develop & communicate high-level strategy as well as guide solutions forward on a more detailed day-to-day basis
- Ability to create & present persuasive presentations, defend proposals, & clearly articulate project plans
Updater makes moving easier for the 17 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly forward mail, transfer utilities, connect TV & internet, & much more. Thousands of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily & relocation companies) rely on Updaters real estate products to save clients hours with a branded & personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised over $100 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors), & more. Updater ranked #3 on Crain's 2016 Best Places to Work in NYC, ranking as the highest rated tech company on the list, & ranked #7 in 2018. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer & will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.