The Quantified Experience (QX) team is seeking a human vision scientist with extensive prior interdisciplinary scientific experience. The position involves leading end-to-end studies with human participants & modeling of low-level visual processing by the eye & the brain. You will investigate the perceptual & experiential consequences of technical trade-offs in mixed reality & provide direction for technical innovations. Candidates must be able to creatively apply fundamental knowledge from human vision science but also from psychology and/or neuroscience and/or optometry.
The QX team informs leadership & other teams on perceptual best practices & works closely with other departments such Systems, Optical Engineering, Health Care, Human Factors & UX/UI teams. We are looking for candidates who are creative, energetic team players who excel in a fast-paced, hands-on environment. We offer a competitive salary & excellent benefits.
- Be aware of the latest developments in the field of human vision science.
- Collaborate with other Magic Leap teams to explore visual perception in mixed reality, define engineering & design specifications, & validate concepts & prototypes.
- Proactively engage other teams within the company & identify research questions using your knowledge of human visual perception.
- Take a research question, understand study requirements through conversations with stakeholders & by reviewing the literature. Use that information to design studies with human participants in the areas of visual perception, visual cognition & optometry, including psychophysical studies.
- Program visual stimuli to display them on a computer screen, stereoscopic displays or mixed/virtual reality devices.
- Analyze data sets & provide directions for technical decision makers. The data includes behavioral, physiological & subjective data coming from vision science experiments with human participants.
- An important part of the work consists of coordinating & executing studies together with other members of the QX team.
- Communicate study results to internal stakeholders as well as externally by giving presentations at academic conferences & by publishing in peer reviewed scientific journals.
- Extensive experience with psychophysical & other psychological research methods.
- Critical thinking & analytic problem solving skills.
- Profound knowledge of at least one of the following programming languages: Matlab, C/C++, Python.
- Extensive experience with data analysis methods & statistical packages such as R or Pandas in Python.
- Experience with modeling human visual perception processes.
- Experience with Unity, Unreal or OpenGL is a plus.
- Experience with Matlab Psychtoolbox is a plus.
- Project management experience is a plus.