Were looking for a temporary (part-time) Entertainment Editor to join Thrillist within Group Nine Media! As a member of the Editorial team, youll report to the Editorial Director of Entertainment. Youll help manage day-to-day workflow, develop & shape fresh story ideas, & serve our audience fun, engaging, & serviceable stories.
The perfect candidate will be a pop-culture obsessive with experience in writing & editing film, television, & entertainment-oriented content with a firm grasp on the streaming landscape & the ability to oversee multiple projects simultaneously in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. Youll delve deeply into unique & timely topics around films, television, & streaming platforms, giving our readers credible recommendations.
You will work alongside the Director of Entertainment in managing a team of writers & freelancers & will be responsible for assigning & editing pieces, & composing original content of your own. This position demands a nimble editor with a sharp eye for line editing & structural sensibilities who can quickly turn around clean copy infused with humor, personality, & rock-solid reporting. Youll work with (and recruit) a large roster of freelance writers to stay on top of whats happening in entertainment & create fresh, serviceable stories that get to the heart of what makes the latest in this category worth writing about.
Knowledge in SEO, & the ability to provide writers with clear assignments & sharp feedback, are an absolute must. This editor will juggle many stories & priorities simultaneously, so constant attention to organization & deadlines is also essential.
What youll do:
- Brainstorm, assign & edit actionable service stories that represent our brand & drive our audience to watch/consume the best in the entertainment category.
- Develop a strong network of writers & sources in your coverage areas, & constantly work to recruit new writers & experts.
- Maintain weekly, monthly, & annual editorial calendars & ensure deadlines are being met.
Success will look like:
- Use data insights & analytics to better understand our audience & apply those insights to inform future story ideas & execution.
- Develop a deep knowledge & expertise in the areas you cover, understanding what makes each entertainment topic unique.
- Be a regular, active partner with Thrillists distribution, video, & design teams to ensure every story is supported visually & promoted effectively.
- 5+ years of editorial experience in digital media, including at least three years of experience as an editor.
- Strong writing skills.
- The ability to multitask, balance priorities, & meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of whats trending in entertainment & a keen eye for what's poised to be the next big thing.
- Strong understanding of how content is consumed & distributed online & via social & search platforms, with a particular emphasis on SEO.
- Good communicator both to members of your own team, to representatives of other departments, & to freelance writers.
- Knowledge of the digital media landscape, & where your coverage fits into that competitive field.
Thrillist is the #1 food, drink & travel brand for Gen Z & Millennials [source: Comscore Media Matrix & Plan Metrix, Q3 2020.] Thrillist serves as a guidebook for those that want new experiences & long to turn a good time into a great time. Our nonstop coverage of local culture inspires audiences to discover their world & celebrate every moment. In a serious world, we take fun seriously. In December 2016, Thrillist joined forces with NowThis, The Dodo, POPSUGAR & Seeker to form Group Nine Media -- a global top 10 publisher.
About Group Nine Media
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nines brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news & politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Womens Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; & Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critics Choice, among others.