ACV Auctions is the leading dealer-to-dealer, online automotive marketplace in the nation. We bring transparency to every transaction from start to finish, ensuring peace of mind & value for our customers. We do this with a combination of the industrys best technology & the worlds best people. As a result of our teams tireless effort & dedication, were growing at a staggering rate. ACV is attracting new people from widely different backgrounds & geographies who are invested in the genuine belief that we are creating something special.
What are we looking for:
At ACV Auctions, our Research Engineers assist in the development & design of new products & technologies. They devise new approaches to problems & opportunities, applying theories, principles, & models to conduct experiments & research activities.
The Sr. Research Engineer is a senior, seasoned professional in planning & executing research. They independently apply advanced knowledge of scientific research or engineering principles & practices in broad areas of assignments & related fields. This role makes decisions independently on technical problems & methods, & represents projects in conferences to resolve important questions, & to plan & coordinate work. They devise new approaches to problems encountered using a wide application of complex principles, theories & concepts in the specific field. In addition, they apply knowledge of other related disciplines to provide solutions to a wide range of difficult problems, ensuring that improvement and/or changes are implemented as specified. This role works on extremely complex problems of diverse scope where analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of intangible variance factors. They act as a technical lead or consultant on various projects & lead the development of intellectual property. A successful Sr. Research Engineer exhibits creativity, foresight & mature judgment in conducting research programs & projects.
What youll be doing:
The Sr. Research Engineer may operate in a variety of capacities, including:
- Individual contributor: Carry out complex or novel assignments requiring the development of new or improved research or engineering techniques & procedures. Work is expected to result in the development of new or refined equipment, materials, processes, products, and/or scientific methods & approaches.
- Supervisory oversight: Plan, develop, coordinate, & direct a large significant project, or a number of small projects with numerous complex features. These may require the use of sophisticated project planning techniques.
- Staff specialist: Develop & evaluate plans & criteria for a variety of projects & activities to be carried out by others. Assess the feasibility & soundness of proposed tests, products & equipment when necessary data may be insufficient or confirmation by testing is advisable. May perform as a staff advisor & consultant to a technical specialty, a type of facility or equipment, or a program function.
In addition, this role will:
- Provide intensive mentoring & training to research teammates.
- Effectively use network to expand technical capability & business development opportunities
- Have significant involvement in external seminars, workshops, professional societies, & committees
- Develop & initiates technical standards through interactions with professional societies & key clients
- Provides ideas to improve organizational efficiency at all levels of the department.
- Participates in strategic planning (understanding markets--who is willing to invest in research--who are competitors for research funds, state-of-the-art technology & equipment).
- Play a key role in the acquisition of research funding, identifying sources of new contract funding & direct the preparation of proposals & presentations.
- Responsible for maintaining positive relationships with major customers/sources of external research & development contract funding.
- Review schedules, cost & documentation to ensure success of projects.
- Serves as an influential resource to ACV & its customers for problem resolution, meeting client/customer needs, & for identifying research opportunities.
What you will need:
- 6 or more years in a related area, or equivalent combination of education/experience.
- PhD degree preferred or exceptional qualifications.
- The Senior level is not reached on the basis of seniority & satisfactory performance alone. It is based on outstanding qualifications & the needs of the Laboratory.
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art principles & theories.
- Demonstrated experience applying advanced knowledge resulting in the successful completion of complex assignments & projects.
What we will offer:
- Competitive salary & benefits
- Upbeat innovative culture
- Professional training opportunities
- Flexible schedules
Hiring is contingent on a satisfactory background check as permitted by law. Any falsification of your application or any other hiring materials is grounds for rescinding an offer or termination of employment.
ACV Auctions is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) & all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.