Type: Full Time
Who we are:
We are Dataminr; we transform vast social media feeds into real-time, actionable alerts. Our clients are the first to know about high-impact events & critical breaking information, enabling them to act faster & stay one step ahead.
Our groundbreaking technology detects, classifies, & determines the significance of public information. We have revolutionized the way relevant information reaches the right people in corporate security, news, the public sector, & finance.
Along the way, we've been referred to as the super tool of journalists & hedge funds while also receiving numerous awards & accolades from our clients, including being recognized by CNBC as one of the worlds 50 most disruptive private technology companies in 2016 & being named to the definitive list of the top 100 private cloud companies in the world by Forbes in 2017.
Based in NYC, a career at Dataminr offers the ability to make an individual impact at a rapidly growing tech startup while being supported by the experience of a company founded in 2009, backed by the worlds leading venture & growth technology investors, & 400 talented employees around the globe.
Who you are:
You're an experienced software engineer with superb software development skills interested in helping us sort, analyze & deliver relevant information from terabytes of unstructured social media data. As well as setting technical direction for significant parts of our microservices based architecture, you'll mentor & train other engineers & be thinking about how to make the team more effective every day.
You'll be using Java & Scala, SQL & NoSQL data stores, Kafka & Docker to name a few, all running on AWS. We're always keen to use emerging technologies if they can help us achieve our goals.
In this role, you will use these tools to build the services & underlying infrastructure that allows us to deal with all of that data. You'll need to collaborate closely with other teams in engineering, product & across the organization to develop innovative solutions to new challenges.
In the first month, you'll:
- start off by learning the ropes, spending time with different parts of the company to understand how Dataminr works.
- get up to speed on our tech stack with overview sessions & deep dives with your team.
- contribute code to production systems from the get-go.
Within 3 months, youll:
- share responsibility for several systems with your team.
- help to plan new features & architecture improvements.
- begin to take more of a role in mentoring & growing the team.
Within 6 months, youll:
- design significant features that impact multiple systems & teams.
- own several microservices & be responsible for their reliability, deployment & scalability.
- be influential in helping plan the next iterations of our architecture as we strive to get more alerts to our clients faster & with near-perfect reliability.
- bring new ideas to our engineering-wide processes to help us improve constantly.
The way we work:
To maintain our momentum, we need a talented, diverse team of people committed to the idea that real-time information can be a force for good in the world.
- We take initiative, ownership, & are accountable.
- We work urgently & thoughtfully & are driven to constantly improve.
- We share knowledge, consider varied perspectives, & assume positive intent.
- We are commercially minded & deliver measurable results.
- We maintain a sense of humor & humility.
Our offering of competitive benefits & perks include:
- Company paid benefits for employees & their dependents, such as medical, dental, vision, disability & life
- Flexible spending account to be used for out-of-pocket medical, transit, parking & dependent care expenses
- 401(k) savings plan
- Generous leave
- Daily catered lunch
- A kitchen fully stocked with snacks & beverages
- Discounted Gym Membership
Dataminr is an equal opportunity & affirmative action employer. Individuals seeking employment at Dataminr are considered without regards to race, sex, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status, pregnancy, unemployment status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status.