Harrys started in 2013 with a specific goal: disrupt the shaving industry by creating an innovative, everyday product at a fair price. Since then, Harrys has expanded to Canada & Europe, developed relationships with retailers such as Target & Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, launched three new brands including Flamingo, Cat Person, & Headquarters, & made our first brand acquisition with Lum.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, & logistics specialists, the Harrys team is composed of some of the most brilliant, diverse, & humble people youll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion & innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, & backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 5 or 500, our core values & our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement & learning, teamwork & collaboration, creative problem solving, & open & direct dialogue & feedback.
Harrys is operating as a hybrid-first environment - for us, that means that we ask folks to come into our beautiful, 88,000 square foot SoHo office a minimum of 2 days per week, with flexibility to choose exactly which days work best for you. What will you get out of that? Bagels on Tuesdays, lunch on Wednesdays & Thursdays, & fully stocked kitchens with snacks, coffee, & drinks everyday. Cant forget the free products & the opportunity to have some meetings without Zoom (remember what 2019 was like?)
We are still requiring vaccinations for in-office employees. Reasonable accommodations due to a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief may be made.
About the Team
The Quality Engineering Team is responsible for the development & implementation of all of Harry's quality standards, inspection protocols & validation of ALL of the manufacturing processes which includes molding, batching, & finished goods production. The team works closely with the Packaging & R&D teams to validate all new component molds, packaging materials & formula production from concept through Mass Production. As we continue to expand into new categories, the Quality team will be an instrumental partner in supporting new exciting innovation & brand success.
About the Role:
We are seeking for a Quality Engineer to lead the creation & implementation of quality standards & inspection processes for new Packaging for Soft & Hard Products (personal care) being developed by Harry's, & ensure that we continue to deliver high-value quality products in a timely & cost effective fashion. You will lead the validation of new tooling, packaging materials & finished goods production of our new product pipeline. Additionally, you will support in diagnosing customer complaints & driving corrective actions by changing manufacturing processes, test methods, quality systems & product designs. You will work with cross-functional teams in the New York office & with our third party manufacturing partners globally in a role that will have a tremendous impact on the company, & most importantly, on our customers.
What you will accomplish:
- Bring your passion & enthusiasm for Quality to work every day. We work hard, & laugh hard.
- Management of new packaging & tooling development & validation from pilot cavity through mass production tooling utilizing SPC data to ensure the supplier's process capabilities meet industry standards.
- Develop secondary tooling to provide additional supply chain capacity to support our growing brands
- Robust knowledge of injection molding, EBM (extrusion blow molding), ISBM (injection stretch blow molding) technologies & their capabilities
- Material science background / experience. Polymer(s) experience is preferred.
- Analyze, interpret & modify technical drawings through tolerancing & stack-up evaluations on critical assemblies
- Evaluate risks & develop clear mitigation plans with support of management & cross-functional peers in R&D & Supply Chain
- Draft & seek guidance on product / package testing plans & analyze / interpret results
- Implement quality tools such as: process mapping, Process FMEA, process control plans, process validation (IQ, OQ, PQ), Measurement System Analysis (MSA/GR&R), Statistical Process Control (SPC); & Design of Experiments (DOE).
- Support advanced product quality planning (APQP) process to ensure successful integration of new products into operations.
- Manage Harrys Soft & Hard Product (personal care) packaging & fill & production line qualification at our third party manufacturing partners.
- Proactively work with the Packaging Development team & suppliers to improve design for manufacturability & reduce defects & cost.
- Ensure supplier test strategy aligns with quality goals & Harry's requirements. Execute supplier audits, CAPAs & monitor metrics.
- Support Sustaining Operations (Value Engineering) initiatives by leading the technical validation & qualification at CMs & Suppliers.
- Work cross-functionally (especially with the broader Supply Chain, R&D & Engineering teams) to define & execute Supplier Quality Management & Supplier Development strategies, with the goal of reducing variation (and cost) in sourced & manufactured products.
- Work with suppliers to ensure all necessary quality activities are rigorously addressed during initial product release & on-going production.
- Work with suppliers to quickly address & resolve any quality issues seen during on-going production.
- Own the issuance of the finished goods specifications with support from our Package Engineering & Process Engineering teams
- Maintain collaborative relationships with suppliers & internal cross functional partners.
This should describe you:
- BS in Mechanical, Chemical Engineering, other related disciplines, or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- 4+ years of experience in the consumer products manufacturing world with knowledge of component development & finished goods production.
- Having knowledge of a variety of mechanical material properties of polymers & packaging components such as aerosols, pumps, closures, bottles, tubes, pumps & paperboard materials.
- Proactive problem solving by leveraging in depth & extensive knowledge of material technologies.
- Honest, direct, & ability to articulate & defend technical recommendations & decisions as well as communicate clearly with cross functional teams.
- Experience in Tolerance & Stack Analysis of new product & package designs.
- Analyze & interpret dimensional & functional data to ensure product specifications are met.
- Experience using Statistical Analytic tools in manufacturing
- Broad knowledge of packaging materials, primary/secondary packaging designs, testing processes/procedures, shipping, sustainability initiatives & commercialization process is a plus
- Experience with 3D CAD software is a strong plus
- Extremely organized, dependable & self-motivated with the ability to excel in a hands-on, fast paced environment.
- Fosters cross-functional relationships to ensure product launches & projects are carried through completion effectively & with high execution
- Life-long learner: You love learning new things & are not afraid to admit when you dont know an answer
- Sense of humor -- we take our work seriously & ourselves un-seriously
Here's who you'll work with:
- Reporting to the Senior Manager of Soft & Hard Products Quality Engineering
- Working in the Quality Team with Process Engineering
- You will work cross functionally with many teams including Packaging Engineering, Product Design, Engineering, Sourcing, Logistics, Design, Retail & Brand Marketing.
- Externally, you will work with packaging component suppliers, printing & decorating suppliers, & contract manufacturing & filling sites.
- Ability to travel domestically & internationally 35%
Benefits & perks
- Medical, dental, & vision coverage
- 401k match
- Equity in Harrys
- Unlimited PTO & flexible working hours
- Wellness & L&D stipends
- One month sabbatical after 5 years
- 16 weeks parental leave
- Fun IRL & virtual events including happy hours, team building events, & parties on our rooftop
- Free products from all of our brands
We have a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy.
Harrys is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds & perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, & do great work together.
Harrys is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment & advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire & promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth & related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture & protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state & local laws. Harrys commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline & access to benefits & training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC & are dedicated to going above & beyond in fostering diversity across our company.