The Leaderboard Engineering team is responsible for the core leaderboard experience when someone takes a Peloton class. Pelotons leaderboard shows a persons real time ranking or presence in the class. It is one of the most heavily used features & serves some of the largest traffic within the Peloton system.
We are looking for a passionate Staff Engineer/Tech Lead to join this rapidly growing team. We want someone to provide technical leadership as the team designs, builds, & deploys innovative products & services. This position has a lot of autonomy & will be able to influence the direction of new & existing projects. We are looking for hands-on coding, mentoring developers, designing system architecture & all around execution excellence.
- Lead the development & improvement of the in-class leaderboard user experience which include leaderboard for live classes, leaderboard for on-demand classes, leaderboard that shows peoples presence, & filtering on the leaderboard.
- Drive for & iterate on improvements for scalability & product functionality.
- Have a strong technical voice in team discussions & decisions. Focus on the whole teams productivity & strive to increase the impact of the teams work product.
- Lead architecture meetings & technical discussions with the focus of reaching consensus & best practice solutions.
- Drive technical decision making through objectively assessing trade offs based on architecture, scope, business priorities, & impacts to product experience.
- Assume technical responsibility for new services & functionality, lookout for opportunities for platform improvement, & work with engineers to scale our production systems.
- Identify & lead technical initiatives to build clean, robust, & performant applications.
- Contribute to the adoption of software architecture & new technologies.
- Lead by example to actively maintain & build a culture of learning, respect, transparency, & trust.
- Lead, coach, pair with, & mentor backend software engineers.
- Nurture a culture of ownership, learning, automation, re-use, & engineering efficiency through the use of software design patterns & sharing of industry best practices.
- Engage effectively in code & design reviews to help maintain a high coding & design standard, improve code quality, & align on appropriate architecture choices.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members from Engineering, Product, Design, Program Management in order to deliver against quarterly & annual roadmap objectives.
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders
- Handle planning & breaking down large projects into milestones & identifying risks & dependencies.
- Lead the team in defining technical requirements & solutions & drive projects through to completion.
- Break down tasks for other engineers & offer guidance to other engineers on the team when they are blocked.
- Achieve on-time delivery without compromising quality.
- 10+ years of software development experience.
- At least 2 years being a tech lead of a group of 3+ software engineers.
- Good active listening skills, the ability to empathize with stakeholders & other engineers.
- Experience working using Agile methodology in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done.
- Experience mentoring engineers with the team-focused mentality for success.
- Demonstrable experience scaling large scale applications.
- Proficient with multiple programming languages, including but not limited to: Python, Java, Kotlin, Go, C++, C.
- Strong understanding of the following:
- Software engineering principles & fundamentals including data structures & algorithms.
- Concurrency & threading, operating system internals, & networking.
- Request processing, caching, queuing, data storage, partitioning, & replication
- Extensive Experience in the following areas:
- Request Processing: Restful API endpoint design principles; Load balancing concepts; Communication & RPC protocols such as HTTP, TCP, gRPC.
- Caching: Memcache, Redis
- Relational Database: Postgres, MySQL
- NoSQL Database: Cassandra, Dynamodb, Mongodb, etc
- Monitoring/Tracing/Profiling: Monitoring tools such as Datadog, Tracing tools such as Zipkin or Datadog APM
- Deploy platforms & tooling: Jenkins, Kubernetes, AWS
Please note: This is a full-time position that will be remote initially (due to COVID-19) & based in our New York City HQ once safe to re-open the office.
Peloton is the largest interactive fitness platform in the world with a loyal community of more than 2.6 million Members. The company pioneered connected, technology-enabled fitness, & the streaming of immersive, instructor-led boutique classes for its Members anytime, anywhere. Peloton makes fitness entertaining, approachable, effective, & convenient, while fostering social connections that encourage its Members to be the best versions of themselves. An innovator at the nexus of fitness, technology, & media, Peloton has reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform that seamlessly combines the best equipment, proprietary networked software, & world-class streaming digital fitness & wellness content, creating a product that its Members love.
The brand's immersive content is accessible through the Peloton Bike, Peloton Tread, & Peloton App, which allows access to a full slate of fitness classes across disciplines, on any iOS or Android device, Fire TV, Roku, Chromecast & Android TV. Founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City, Peloton has a growing number of retail showrooms across the US, UK, Canada & Germany. For more information, visit www.onepeloton.com.