Consul helps organizations automate network configurations, discover services, & enable secure connectivity across any cloud or runtime. The Consul API Tooling team creates critical tools that live outside of the Consul repository for our Consul practitioners & customers. These tools include Consul Template, Consul Terraform Sync, Envconsul & more.
HashiCorp is a fast-growing startup that solves development, operations, & security challenges in infrastructure so organizations can focus on business-critical tasks. We build products to give organizations a consistent way to manage their move to cloud-based IT infrastructures for running their applications. Our products enable companies large & small to mix & match AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, & other clouds as well as on-premises environments, easing their ability to deliver new applications for their business.
At HashiCorp, we have used the Tao of HashiCorp as our guiding principles for product development & operate according to a strong set of company principles for how we interact with each other. We value top-notch collaboration & communication skills, both among internal teams & in how we interact with our users.
Engineering at HashiCorp is largely a remote team. While prior experience working remotely isn't required, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence & autonomy.
About the Role:
On the Consul team, we help organizations automate network configurations, discover services, & enable secure connectivity across any cloud or runtime. The customers & large community of users of our tools are operators, infrastructure engineers, & software developers that encounter novel performance, scaling, & usability challenges that we help them solve.
Consul started as an infrastructure management tool for service discovery & health checking, & has evolved to become a full-featured service mesh. Youll be an active contributor to the tooling that supports Consul. At a high level, a subset of what these tools do are: enable our practitioners & customers to dynamically update their network infrastructure devices, monitor services & render templates based off of updates to those services, monitor external nodes & launch subprocesses with environment variables.
Youll be following new developments in emerging technology & competitive offerings, looking for opportunities for product differentiation, & rethinking product architecture to meet new global scale & organizational demands.
In this role you can expect to:
- Build & architect distributed systems for the Consul API tools.
- Interface directly with internal teams, users & HashiCorp customers, as well as the larger Consul community.
- Participate in discussions with product managers & customers to better understand the network topologies, challenges, & constraints for which operators are trying to solve, & leverage those insights when approaching feature design & implementation.
- Propose new functionality or substantive changes through written documents in an async process, describing the problem background, proposed implementation & example UX, then iterating on peer feedback collaboratively.
- Own the full lifecycle of feature development from design through testing & release.
- Program mostly in Golang, learning from & contributing to a team committed to continually improving their skills.
You may be a good fit for our team if you have:
- Familiarity with service-oriented architectures, & ideally have worked on an infrastructure or platform team building internal tooling to deploy, connect & monitor them.
- Empathy for the people operating, learning, teaching & supporting software you write, & consider their experience when making design decisions & performance, security or complexity tradeoffs.
- Experience in a lower-level language like Go.
- Awareness of the broader service mesh ecosystem & an interest in contributing to a full-featured product offering while reducing complexity & barriers to adoption for practitioners.
- Curiosity for academic computer science research, particularly distributed systems papers such as Raft & Paxos variants, & enjoy learning more about the challenges of consistency at global scale.
About the Application Process:
Please note, as collaboration & communication are a critical aspect of how we work, a cover letter is a great way to provide a sample of how you communicate.
In your cover letter, please describe why you're interested in working at HashiCorp, & what draws you to this role in particular. Specifics of your past experience that are relevant to this role are great to include, too.
HashiCorp embraces diversity & equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, & skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be. Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!