Glossier is a digital-first beauty company on a mission to inspire everyone to find joy & confidence in their personal beauty style. We create physical, digital, & offline experiences inspired by our community that foster connection, inspire a sense of belonging, & invite people to participate in Glossier. We are inclusive, customer-devoted, curious, courageous, & discerning.
We are looking for an engineer or chemist to join the Quality & Commercialization team, who will be responsible for managing & executing all the tasks related to the formula commercialization & production of Glossier products. This individual will leverage their knowledge in the scientific principles of chemistry & formula batching to support the growing product portfolio & help streamline testing & scale-up processes. This includes:
- Manage the formula commercialization process after formal formula approval from small-scale pilot batch through scaled up pilot batch. Validate formulas scalability through verification of 1st production batching.
- Work closely with PD & R&D to confirm pilot batches; travel to some CMs for pilot batches (dependent on formula complexity & business need); track pilot batch stability testing done by the CMs.
- Work closely with the packaging commercialization engineers on line trials & ensuring product can be commercialized in a scalable, reproducible & sustainable manner, ensuring formulations are optimally filled.
- Manage vendor relationships & project completion during the commercialization process.
- Review & approve all production bulk batches & maintain all up to date bulk standards.
- Act as a subject matter expert on all formula-related quality investigations, & oversee testing for investigations as needed.
- Manage in-package stability testing on skincare/cosmetic products; report results & maintain testing data.
- Manage & input bulk formula specification data into PLM system.
- Work with cross-functional partners to identify formulation resourcing opportunities.
- Help implement process improvement initiatives as needed.
- Manage & input data from COAs into database.
Six Month Expectations
- You utilize your expertise in formula scale-up across broad categories of product (color, skincare, OTCs, fragrance ancillaries) to mitigate risks & support on-time product launches.
- You are caught up on the current timelines of formulas in development or undergoing reform, & clear on where formula testing & pilot batching sits on the timeline.
- You can troubleshoot pilot stability/compatibility issues with our manufacturers & Packaging/Commercialization/R&I teams, as well as analyze all testing parameters for risk.
- You have familiarized yourself with Glossiers Quality Manual, & understand the role quality plays in ensuring the integrity of the products we make.
Twelve Month Expectations
- You can self-sufficiently oversee & manage the CMs completion of pilot batching & share results with key stakeholders.
- You can handle bulk batch reviews, & maintain Glossiers bulk standards.
- You can lead a formula quality investigation, manage a vendors investigation, & document in a written report.
- You can execute lab testing & write up a report of your results.
- You understand the functionality of our PLM system & can input formula specifications & upload documentation with current & accurate information.
The ideal candidate is detail-oriented & takes pride in seeing a project to completion. Youre a go-getter who takes initiative & is a proactive communicator. You have previous experience working in a lab or manufacturing setting on consumer or skincare/cosmetic goods. You have excellent color shade matching experience. Youre flexible with working arrangements, & understand this position will require a combination of traveling to vendors, working from the Glossier HQ manhattan offices, & working from home. This role is perfect for an individual contributor who will be responsible for cross-functional projects, & overseeing other team members' contributions to the project through to completion. The ideal candidate is someone who enjoys rolling up their sleeves & doing the work to ensure our products are commercially viable.
- A background in skincare & cosmetics (including color matching) is required with 3 to 6 years of experience. Role is designed for either an experienced engineer (3 to 4 years of experience) or a more senior engineer/engineering manager (5 to 6 years of experience).
- A degree in Process Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Quality Engineering, Cosmetic Science, or Chemistry.
- Knowledge of how formulations are scaled up from pilot & validated for production.
- Knowledge of basic wet lab testing equipment.
- Ability to predict, recognize & define problems, & generate, select & implement timely solutions.
- Attention to detail & ability to manage multiple complex projects in tandem.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects & multiple vendors prioritization & planning.
- Knowledge of Google Sheets, Google Docs, Excel etc
- Role requires travel up to 25% of the time.
- Role requires a significant skillset in vendor relationship management, since Glossier does not manufacture our own goods; all goods are produced through contract manufacturers.
Glossier is a beauty company that lives in NYC, is sold on the internet, & promotes a skincare first philosophy that celebrates beauty in real life.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer. It has been & will continue to be a fundamental policy of Glossier not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, benefits, layoff, & termination.