At Lyft, our mission is to improve peoples lives with the worlds best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, & diverse organization.
The Networking team is responsible for all edge & service-to-service network traffic dedicated to making the best ride possible, from our mobile app to our internal microservice architecture. This means providing the most reliable network seamlessly so that our engineers can build platforms that scale as well as tooling to either make the network easy to understand or abstract the network completely.
As the Engineering Manager for the Networking team, you will use your technical experience to lead a team of engineers to challenge the status quo & deliver operational excellence for Networking, Service Mesh & Edge. You will lead a team that is inclusive, helpful, & has a strong sense of ownership for the things they build. The team looks to their manager for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, & honest feedback. They move fast & ship code to production continuously, relying on their leadership to increase productivity by removing obstacles & keeping processes lean.
- Lead a team of talented engineers who like to ship code & tackle hard engineering problems
- Actively engage with the Envoy OSS community to collaboratively move the project forward & keep Lyft on the cutting edge
- Work across engineering to build relationships with other teams. Use their feedback & understand their goals to build & prioritize a roadmap for your org
- With the help of your team members, educate engineering on best practices for building stable & well-monitored apps
- Encourage & enforce the right behaviors to ensure we continue to ship quickly without compromising production stability
- Create & evolve sustainable processes & tools for operations through automation, self-service & reducing complexity
- Mentor & guide the professional & technical development of your team members; help develop their careers & assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, & professional goals
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, & respectful of each other
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, & recognize the individual strengths & contributions of your team members
- Create plans for prioritizing technical & resourcing challenges in your organization
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the teams code, architecture, & processes
- Work closely with the Lyft recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- You have a technical background & familiarity with networking disciplines, such as proxies (e.g. Envoy/HAProxy/Nginx), load balancers, API gateways, DNS management, HTTP2, GRPC, etc.
- You have experience with monitoring & logging management products such as ELK, Wavefront, SignalFx, CloudWatch, StackDriver, etc.
- You have experience guiding teams through planning, prioritization, & execution of work
- You have experience leading engineers at all levels, & youre skilled at guiding them through their career development
- You are steadfastly focused on your customers, & preferably have experience working with engineers as customers
- You believe in building both teams & products that scale; actively work on reducing technical debt & all operational issues are root caused
- You have a strong focus on metrics & know how to measure the health of engineering teams
- You enjoy working in a collaborative environment, & youre committed to driving projects to completion creatively
- You can motivate & instill a strong sense of ownership in your team
- You think ahead & build for the future
- Great medical, dental, & vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, & foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive & diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state & local law.